News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Southern Hills loop plan

Started by Sportfaller, April 01, 2011, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportfaller

WTF.... how do you embed a map from google maps?
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

loingrader

looks like fun to me.  i love the heavily wooded northern hills but i also love the more open southern hills too.  haven't spent much time down there though.  if that loop pans out i may run it at the june rally.  nice work!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

i am alway sup for a ride. It would be great to see you again. Hopefully it works out we can ride to Moab together. I also hope to get to ride with Loingrader at the rally. Didnt really get a chance to meeet him at the fall rally.  This looks like  fun route.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

numb41

oh yea, i would like this.  hunted in that area for elk and really liked how the hills 'opened up'

hellneau

greatbuffalo

That looks like a great ride. I'd be up to doing something like that within the 2 weeks after the FNF rally
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Yup, we need a date and time. I would be all over this. Looks like fun.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Sportfaller

its incredibly muddy down that way right now, and the gates dont open till May, so after that.....  Its on!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

greatbuffalo

I will be in the Hills for the Spring Rally. The next week I think I will be doing a PIT project in the Bearlodge District till the 25th. From then on I am free till 4th of July weekend to what ever I can find.

Some of thoughts have been:
- Find someone who really knows there way around the Hills to put me on some interesting sites such as ghost towns, mines, interesting feature and places of all kinds, etc.
- Head to the Bighorns and do some riding out there. At the same time would like to visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield
- Day hikes.
- At least one day riding in Custer SP, there is quite a bit of dirt/gravel.
- Taking lots of Pictures
- Want to find Bear Cave.
- Any other suggestions?????

I will be camping most all of this trip, the offer of a shower a couple times would be nice, I pack a SunShower but the real deal is nice sometimes. ;D

- Always looking for an "IN" into some places or areas that are restricted or rarely visited. This includes "backdoor tours", Cool people doing cool jobs, Mostly for unique photo ops. ;)

Anybody got any ideas or time to spend in that time frame let me know. I'm up for anything. remember, I ride a big Adv Tourer, not a KLR, though I wish I did sometimes. (its on my list)

Anything would be cool.

Thanks All

GB

sleddog

Look at this Ride Report. I think it will be just what you're looking for!

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=465632

Sleddog

greatbuffalo

I have read that report and would like to do something similar. He pack alot riding in a very short period of time. Would like to take the pace a little easier. He does go to a couple places I'd like to explore.
Thanks for the suggestion.

numb41

Has anybody done the custer expedition trip thru the hills?

greatbuffalo

Number41, You sir, have read my mind. I've been scanning the books and maps, I even have the original work that was done in 1974 and published by the SDSU. This book I believe is the major resource that Grafe and Horsted used in determining his route but never make mention of it as a source. Its titled "Following Custer". Its a great resource as all the route is shown using aerial photos.

I would be inclined to do this route the weekend after the Spring Rally or that next week. I'm open From 6/26 - 7-4. I have other plans for the 19th thru the 25th.

plumber mike

A hot shower and a garage full of tools for you a few miles south of Lead....if that helps....and someone to help you get lost :D