News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Southern Hills loop plan

Started by Sportfaller, April 01, 2011, 10:44:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

Cool, Thanks Plumber Mike.

Sportfaller, sorry, it feels like this thread was highjacked. Still interested in your ride as well.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

gerry1eye

Josh, hows the healing going? Heard any good jokes? Every time I broke ribs, it hurt the most when I would laugh.

My buddy ND Dave and I are coming to the hills next Monday before the DDSR spring rally. On Tuesday or Wednesday we would like to ride your 100 mile southern route. Do you think the route will be passable and the trails open? Were planning on bringing the KLR so we should have plenty of fuel for getting lost. What da think? thanks

Looking forward to giving you some crashing crap at the spring rally.

gerry
fearless to fear of falling - warranty has expired.

Bogus Jim

I gave this route a go last Sunday. It's dry enough; there were a few mud holes but you can ride around them if you'd rather. However I ran into private/posted land a couple times. The first time I re-routed, but the second time about half way down Hell Canyon, there wasn't an easy way around. Landowner lives right at the gate and might give permission to ride through, but didn't seem to be home when I was there.

It was tame compared to the typical rocky Galena/Nemo trails but definitely nice scenery and worth riding. I am thinking about taking vacation next week, let me know if you want some company riding on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Jim 

plumber mike

I could probably swing a tues/wed ride if you'd like company.

Sportfaller

my bike STILL isnt even started! Still waiting on the insurance company to get their feces in formation. the bike is ride-able, but unbearably loud with no muffler (it was crushed in the wreck) I rode about an hour offroad last weekend, but until the ribs heal riding may be limited to the road once the bike is fixed.

Glad to hear the route was open, may have to give it a shot in the pickup one of these days
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

greatbuffalo

I can empathize with you on the ribs. I have had many breaks but these damned ribs are the worst! >:(

I also separated my shoulder in the off so thats far from perfect as well. So like you, I will be sticking to the tame stuff.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

gerry1eye

Jim and Mike

The more the merry, we welcome the company as long as you don't mined getting lost.
Leaning towards riding the loop on Wednesday as the weather forecast looks drier than Tuesday.
What would be a good start time and start location?

Gerry

Bogus Jim

Gerry if you're staying in the Northern Hills, maybe we could meet at the Sugar Shack 9-10am and ride down to Custer together. There is a zig-zag route to Custer I ride sometimes that hits Whitetail Peak, Flag Mountain, and Bear Mountain. Then gas up and ride the Southern Hills loop. I'm flexible on the start time/place though, if something else is better for you.

loingrader

sounds like a fun ride.  if the route still looks good after scouting you may have some followers if you wanted to lead a ride next weekend gerry,jim or mike.  i'd sure be interested.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on June 10, 2011, 11:41:11 AM
sounds like a fun ride.  if the route still looks good after scouting you may have some followers if you wanted to lead a ride next weekend gerry,jim or mike.  i'd sure be interested.

+1
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

gerry1eye

Jim and all interested,

Early week, we planning to camp at Sheridan Lake, so Custer would work better for a meeting spot for Dave and I. How long will it take for you to get from the sugar shack to Custer? Set a time and gas station in Custer and we will meet up with you and who else shows up at the Sugar Shack - Mike?

A zigzag whitetail peak route is something that we would be interested in doing Saturday with the wife on the back, if its not to technical.

So much looking forward to riding the hills.

Gerry

Bogus Jim

OK, Custer it is. Let's meet at the Exxon/Common Cents near the intersection of highway 16 and 385/89 south. 24 West Mt. Rushmore Rd. is the street address. 10:30-10:45am Wednesday.

I'll be at the Sugar Shack about 9:30am and leave 10-15 minutes later, if anyone else up north wants to join. I think I'll take a shorter route to Custer instead of the zig-zag; I'm sure we'll get plenty of miles riding the southern loop and getting lost a few times.

Bogus Jim

Here's a few teaser pics for the southern loop... or the part I have ridden.

Really red soil in places...

When there's a skull on the post, it's got to be a good trail, right?

Here's a nice shady spot to stop and have lunch. Right underneath a 50-ton rock.

Turning onto the Hell Canyon trail.

Sportfaller

Looks good guys! cant wait to take a look myself!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

gerry1eye

Great pics Jim,

See you Wednesday morning

Gerry