News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Official Sign-Up Thread

Started by The Yeti, April 05, 2011, 12:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Time to get rolling!

The 2011 Dakota Dual Sport Riders summer rally will once again be held in the beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota!  Camping will be at the Fish 'n Fry campground just south of Deadwood, SD: http://www.fishnfry.com/

Location is here:

We will be staying on the Hillside Loop once again.

Dates are June 16, 17, 18 & 19, 2011.  You can arrive anytime after noon on Thursday, June 16, departing on Sunday, June 19. Weather should be dry and warm - avg high 78, avg low 52.  BUT, this is South Dakota...if you don't like the weather, just wait a minute.  ;-)  Be aware that there is very spotty cell phone coverage at the campground (can be a good thing), but if you ride to the top of the hill (2 minutes away) most will get a good signal.

Entry Fee: FREE!
Camping: Tents - $7 per person/night, RVs/Campers - $20 per night.  You will pay the campground when you arrive, no pre-payment required. Make sure you tell them you are with DDSR to get the special discount!

We will have enough room for plenty of tents.  RV sites near the tent sites are at a premium and need to be reserved as far in advance as possible, although there will be plenty of RV spots available away from "ground zero".

The rally is open to any and all skill levels of riders with any motorcycle that is street legal in SD (doesn't take much: headlight, taillight & license plate is about it).  All attempts will be made to keep the amount of pavement on our rides to a minimum, but it is a necessary evil in the Black Hills to get from one trail to another sometimes.

Rides can range from gravel/easy fire roads to rocks to single track to really gnarly rocks & single track, hillclimbs, etc.  There will be something for everybody!

The Fish 'n Fry campground (FnF) has full showers (coin operated, bring a couple of quarters if you don't want to smell like a dirty biker!), real bathrooms (with sinks & mirrors!), a general store (with beer), a small restaurant (with beer on tap!) and a grill and shelter we can use if it rains. 24hr gas station/convenience store right across the street, and Deadwood is only 10 minutes away. There are picnic tables, but if you want a guaranteed seat by the fire you better bring your own.

Electricity is available to charge cell phones, iPods, etc., however it is outside, so use at your own risk!

Firewood from outside the campground is not permitted (sometimes an exception is made for us DDSR folks, though). The FnF has bundles of wood for around $4, I think.

Limited food will be provided, but plan on fending for yourself during the day.
- One night will be chili & nachos (courtesy of Mr. & Mrs. Yeti)
- More to come, I'm sure!

Cars, trucks & bike trailers will have room to park, but could be a ways away from your campsite.

Copy and paste the below form to sign up:

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE:
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY:
DATE ARRIVING:
DATE LEAVING:
TENT OR RV:
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS:

Anyone bringing special gifts (good tequila, good scotch, good beer) for THE YETI will be given preferred treatment along with my sincerest appreciation!  ;-)

DISCLAIMER:
Anyone attending this event, does so at their own risk. The Yeti, any other DDSR member, the FnF campground or ANYONE BESIDES YOU will not be held responsible for injury to yourself, your bike or gear! Now, let's get out and RIDE THE HILLS!!  P.S. No helicopters allowed!  :-)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

FISHING: Fishing is allowed along the creek running into and out of their little stock pond at FnF, and a fishing license is not required.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

PERMITS: Don't forget, permits are now required to ride off-road (on trails designated 'TR' on the new MVU Map) in the Black Hills National Forest. Click the link about halfway down this page on the right-hand side (Application: Annual Motorized Trail Permit):

http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPyhQoY6BdkOyoCAGixyPg!/?ss=110203&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=STELPRDB5203036&navid=360000000000000&position=Feature*&ttype=detail&pname=Black%20Hills%20National%20Forest-%20Maps%20&%20Publications

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

The Yeti

"IN" LIST

NAME - NIGHTS - TENT/RV/CABIN
The Yeti (+1) - 16,17,18 - RV
greatbuffalo - 16,17,18 - tent
loingrader (+3) - 17,18 - tents
agspecialties - 16,17,18 - RV
SportFaller - 17,18 - tent
Scoobynut (+1) - 16,17,18 - cabin
JoniJo (+1) - 16,17,18 - cabin
Grubbie (+1) - 16,17,18 - RV
Osnabrock - 16,17,18 - tent
Hank - 17,18 - tent
Dr. Psycho (+2) - 17,18 - tents
Wacked - 16,17,18 - tent
NDave (+1) - 16,17,18 - RV
The Griz - 16,17,18 - tent
oktaneho - 17,18 - tent
Lonesome Dave - 16,17,18 - just ridin'
Hipster - 16,17,18 - tent
Twin Headlight Ernie - 16,17,18 - tent
Lawritz Mann - 16,17,18 - tent
Plumber Mike - 16,17,18 - just ridin'

TOTAL = 29

The Yeti

RIDES

DIFFICULTY RATING KEY
Class I - Requires 1-2 hours
Class II - Requires half a day
Class III - Requires most of a day
Class IV - Requires a very long day
Class V - Requires an overnight stay on the route
Class VI - Requires a few days
Class VII - Expedition

Grade A is graded dirt road
Grade B is easy jeep road
Grade C is moderate
Grade D is occasionally technical
Grade E is continuously technical
Grade F is gonzo

Camp 5 Road
Difficulty Rating - Class I, Grade D

MAP
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=deadwood+sd&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=36.315864,56.513672&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Deadwood,+Lawrence,+South+Dakota&ll=44.364606,-103.600044&spn=0.063938,0.110378&z=13

DESCRIPTION
Rocky stream beds, some smooth access road, some rocky access road, grapefruit to cantaloupe sized loose rocks, two semi-gnarly hillclimbs, rocky steps, tight two-track in places, fast two-track in places, all tons-o-fun!

TIME
1hr - 2hr ride, depending on your skill/risk-taking level. We took 2.5hrs during one rally with lots of larger, adventure type bikes and some inexperienced riders (such as myself  :P ). Some have claimed to have run it in less than 15 minutes.    :o

PICS

PILOT KNOB
Difficulty Rating - Class I, Grade D (although one .5 mile section is Grade E)

MAP

DESCRIPTION
The only portion of the Centennial Trail that is open to motorized travel (from Pilot Knob TH to Dalton TH). Starts off easy, from either the south or north end.  North end offers a really fun ATV trail with lots of whoops & banks.  South end starts off with a short switchback uphill followed by some easy two track and rock strewn two-track...with awesome scenery!  It's the middle bit that will get ya!  Sometimes steep, rocky, narrow single track with some difficult steps, climbs and descents. Not all that bad, but can be challenging even on smaller bikes.  But, keep in mind that flexlarson took some poor guy on a VStrom over Pilot Knob and the guy is still alive, his bike had a few broken bits.   ;D  So, it can't be all that bad!

TIME
1hr - 1.5hr

PICS

This bit will rattle your teeth out if you're suspension is too stiff!  On the south end (I think):

It tends to stay a little wetter up there because the forest is so thick:

Sorry, I don't have any pics of the tuff stuff, you'll have to take my word for it.

249 from Silver City/Slate Creek Dam/The 429
Difficulty Rating - Class I, Grade C (although I suppose the 429 could be considered D)

Can anyone confirm that The 429 is no longer accessible due to the new map? I'm pretty sure it's not.  EDIT: Yup, the green (best) portion of The 429 below is now closed.  :(

MAP
(Traveling from east to west)

DESCRIPTION
A beautiful (mostly) easy ride on smooth fire roads (= fast!). This is one of my favorite easy rides for some great scenery! The most challenging part is the green section of the 429, but I've been through it with a GSA that had no problems at all.  Just gets a little tight & wet at times. Kind of a long section of gravel on the 231.1 stretch, otherwise, all dirt.

TIME
1.5hr - 2hr

PICS
See this thread: http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=137.0

SOUTHERN HILLS
Here's a new Southern Hills Loop plotted out by Sportfaller, as yet untested!
http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&doflg=ptm&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=204019464610329084693.00049fdd1b07f8f1326e9&ll=43.570442,-103.732224&spn=0.407445,0.883026&t=p&z=11

The Yeti

The Yeti's are IN!

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE: Alan/Yeti, Patty/Mrs. Yeti <---non-rider/campground host
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY: 2
DATE ARRIVING: June 16
DATE LEAVING: June 19
TENT OR RV: RV
SIZE OF RV: 27'

Sorry, I'm kinda lazy...so, most of the above is just copied & pasted from previous rallies.  If anyone has anything new to add to the RIDES post, let me know!

Can't wait to see you all again!  I'm still very apprehensive about riding anything too challenging.  I may be taking it very easy this time around - please don't hold it against me!   ;D

I haven't even been out on the bike since last November...my attitude may change once I get a few rides under my belt this spring!   :evil

The Yeti

greatbuffalo

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE: Dan / greatbuffalo
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY: 1
DATE ARRIVING: 6/16
DATE LEAVING: 6/19
TENT OR RV: Tent
SIZE OF RV:
NUMBER OF TENTS: 1

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

Bret/Loingrader
2-3 (depending on how many siblings i can rope in)
arrive friday leave sunday
2-3 tents
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

agspecialties

I am in for all 4 days. Need a RV spot.
Yeti, do i call FNF for reservations for the RV spot?

Sportfaller

NAME/INTERNET HANDLE: Josh / SportFaller
NUMBER IN YOUR PARTY: 1
DATE ARRIVING: 6/17, late PM
DATE LEAVING: 6/19
TENT OR RV: Tent
NUMBER OF TENTS: 1

I'll bring firewood up thursday night again, I think someone still has my maul from last year (cause I'm too dumb to remember to pick it up)

I'll also bring my medical kit, with the intent on NOT using it.

I may be riding a new f800 by then.... maybe....
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

loingrader

Quote from: Sportfaller on April 07, 2011, 08:54:27 AM
I'll bring firewood up thursday night again,
I'll also bring my medical kit

much appreciated, again!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: agspecialties on April 06, 2011, 07:48:37 PM
I am in for all 4 days. Need a RV spot.
Yeti, do i call FNF for reservations for the RV spot?

No need, I got it taken care of. Just need to know the size of your RV.

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on April 07, 2011, 11:38:37 AM
I'll bring firewood up thursday night again,
I'll also bring my medical kit

much appreciated, again!

+1000!!   ;D

The Yeti

I think someone still has my maul from last year (cause I'm too dumb to remember to pick it up)

I'm pretty sure it wasn't in the chopper with me when I left.   ;)

Sportfaller

Quote from: The Yeti on April 07, 2011, 03:28:41 PMI'm pretty sure it wasn't in the chopper with me when I left.   ;)

Left like a true VIP,  Very Injured Person....
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

agspecialties

Yeti
The hauler is 30' long. Does the site have water and sewer and power?