News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Official Sign-Up Thread

Started by The Yeti, April 05, 2011, 12:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on April 25, 2011, 11:06:18 AM
I'm planning on having my sister on her klx250 as well as my brother with his wife on the back of a KLR5650 so we will be doing the scenic non challenging routes again this rally too grubbie.

Hey Brett - you got some routes planned out yet?  I may just follow you guys around on the easy stuff...you seem to know the trails around here better than anyone else I know! Josh is a very close second.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

I still crave (and ride) the crazy stuff but I usually hit those trails early in the morning before my sister and dad roll out of their tents.  Another reason that I like F&F is because that fun little loop past Galena is close by (if it's still open).  I can get my adrenaline rush filled early in the morning and happily tootle around the rest of the day.

Don't have any detailed routes planned.  I'm curious to see what trails are closed now with the new travel management plan.  I've got a simple GPS and old NFS maps so I may not know where I'm going but at least I can get back to camp.  Brian and Chad know routes much better than I, and they know the FUN ones.

I'd really like to take a long loop down towards Mt. Rushmore and see it from a dirt trail.  I've heard some climbers say that such a trail exists but haven't seen it myself.  I know trails pretty well by Silver City and Slate Creek Dam, so we could certainly head over that way again this year too.  Last year we rode to Devil's Tower which is a long ways but also really cool for those who haven't seen it.

I was going to wait and just pick up a trail sticker and new map in Spearfish once I get out there but maybe I'll get them coming now so I can do a little research.

I also want to eventually hit every one of the motorcycle only singletrack trails now listed on the trail map.

As usual, I'm up for anything!

-Bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

According to the new maps, you can't get to Camp 5 from Galena anymore.

You can download the new maps here: http://www.fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsinternet/!ut/p/c4/04_SB8K8xLLM9MSSzPy8xBz9CP0os3gjAwhwtDDw9_AI8zPwhQoY6BdkOyoCAPkATlA!/?ss=110203&navtype=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&cid=FSE_003853&navid=091000000000000&pnavid=null&position=BROWSEBYSUBJECT&ttype=main&pname=Black%2520Hills%2520National%2520Forest-%2520Home/maps/

The link seems to be broken right at the moment though.  I downloaded them last night.  If you have a Garmin GPS, there's a map you can download for that too.  The best section of The 429 is closed as well.  ???

I've been on a few dirt tracks around Mt. Rushmore, but none that you could see the mountain from. That would be cool to find.

Lonesome Dave emailed me with a fun sounding loop starting in Beulah WY that I'd be willing to try.  I'd also like to try to get down south a bit.

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Osnabrock

I'm in.
I'm going to try to make it down on Thursday. 
I'll be tenting it.
I will likely be leaving on Sunday.
-John
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

plumber mike

Osnabrock- Did you sell that XL500?wasit?

Glad to hear your coming out.

Hank

Quote from: Osnabrock on April 27, 2011, 03:40:10 PM
I'm in.
I'm going to try to make it down on Thursday. 
I'll be tenting it.
I will likely be leaving on Sunday.
-John

Are you riding out solo?  Coming through Watertown?

Osnabrock

I did sell my '83 XL600.  I kept my'85 XL as my farm bike. I couldn't be with out one, they're a great bike.  I've even got a backup motor in case anything bad happens.
I think that I'll be coming from NE North Dakota so I'll probably be going through Bismarck/Mandan area.  I haven't really visited with any of the other folks that came from the MPLS area last year so I don't know if there will be anyone coming through Watertown.

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

greatbuffalo

Hank,
The way it looks now I will be riding out of Mitchell on the 16th. Not sure what route you will take but if you come by Mitchell we could meet up or if you a route a little to the north I could meet you a little north. Never been out to the Hills on anything north of I90. I'm pretty flexible. I tend to stop and enjoy the scenery and shot pics, so be forewarned. :D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

the Maydew caravan will probably take 44 the whole way out as it is peaceful, zero traffic and goes thru the back side of the badlands.  Will hopefully leave from Platte, SD on friday before noon.  Anyone is welcome to join up with us (hank, gb, foster).  It is a fun road.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

I thought about heading that way too. I'd join you but I was thinking about heading out Thursday. Maybe I'll change my plans. I'd like to ride with others.

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on April 28, 2011, 12:45:34 AM
the Maydew caravan will probably take 44 the whole way out as it is peaceful, zero traffic and goes thru the back side of the badlands.  Will hopefully leave from Platte, SD on friday before noon.  Anyone is welcome to join up with us (hank, gb, foster).  It is a fun road.

Your crew is riding out this time?  Maybe I could angle down and meet you along the way.

greatbuffalo

Hank, I can wait till friday and you can meet me in Mitchell and then head down to Platte to meet them. What do you think?

loingrader

Quote from: Hank on April 28, 2011, 06:41:19 AM
Your crew is riding out this time?  

beth and i rode out in sept and it was a great ride.  there are several whatifs that could throw a wrench, but that is the plan i'm shooting for.  so it would be 3 klr650's (pop, bro & wife, me) and beth on her klx250.  At the very least i can almost guarantee that beth and i will ride out friday before noon.

i assume you are riding your dr400 hank?

Hank

Assuming the stars align and I actually make it, yes I'll be riding the DRZ.    I might just bust out solo as swinging down that far south is quite a few extra miles (and the DRZ isn't my idea of an awesome highway ride) but that plan is also subject to change.

So, to summarize, I'm not 100% sure I'm coming and I don't know which route I'll take.   :)

numb41

???  I've got sooo much work lined up this summer, I wont know if i can make it until the week of.  I also got a ride on an outlaw mower... i cant turn down the chance to race a 50hp mower!