News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Official Sign-Up Thread

Started by The Yeti, April 05, 2011, 12:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

I'd be down for a late afternoon ride as well. I'm still up in the air on my route but I guess I should arrive before 1 pm. Still would like to find someone to ride out with. If there is any one out on the right side of the state that would like to ride on the 16th let me know. I'll even meet someone along the way.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Griz

I'm in for 16,17, and 18. Tent.
2009 BMW F800GS
2010 BMW G450X

The Yeti

Quote from: The Griz on May 20, 2011, 01:38:18 PM
I'm in for 16,17, and 18. Tent.

Welcome Griz, got you down!  Care to offer an introduction?? Where you from, what you ride, etc.   ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

greatbuffalo

Anyone know if Camp 5 will be open or closed? Took my Xterra over that last fall and thought it would be a cool ride. I know some of you guys have mantioed it as well.

Yeti, that would be a good afternoon ride on Thursday, yes?

The Yeti

Yes, Camp 5 will be open....no, you will not be seeing The Yeti in Camp 5 this time around.  Still a little bit of shell shock from last June, and I'm bringing the GS - plan on staying on relatively smooth fire roads, mostly two-up.

EDIT: You can't get to Camp 5 through Galena anymore though - sucks, 'cause that was an awesome water crossing!  :(

greatbuffalo

Bummer!! Can't get there from Galena anymore? >:(
Didn't know it was Camp 5 that brought your weekend to an end.
I can't say as I blame you. Maybe I'm thinking of another trail.
I went up over the Hill past Vinegar Hill Cemetery. Lots of logging up in that area last fall. Lots of up and down and pretty decent road actually but tight in places. Plenty of room for skidders though. Do I have the wrong road?

greatbuffalo

Any ideas for an afternoon ride???

Custer Peak??

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on May 21, 2011, 09:38:02 PM
EDIT: You can't get to Camp 5 through Galena anymore though - sucks, 'cause that was an awesome water crossing!  :(

so that road past galena is closed before the first water crossing, or is it closed somewhere farther down the trail before camp 5.  have yet to get my map, sorry for the dumb questions, i just can't see how they would have closed that trail as it was big and wide enough to drive a bus down.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Fletch

Quote from: loingrader on May 23, 2011, 03:26:20 PM
Quote from: The Yeti on May 21, 2011, 09:38:02 PM

so that road past galena is closed before the first water crossing, or is it closed somewhere farther down the trail before camp 5.  have yet to get my map, sorry for the dumb questions, i just can't see how they would have closed that trail as it was big and wide enough to drive a bus down.
if it is closed it should be past the water X-ing as there are several access roads to private property past the X-ing?
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

The Yeti

You guys are probably right, I'll check the map tonight.

The Yeti

Well, here's the new MVU map of that area:

Sure looks to me like the trail stops right at the water crossing...will have to just wait and see I guess. (I added the green highlight.)

The Yeti

Camp 5 - http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=611.msg5141#msg5141

Crash story - http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=467.msg4027#msg4027

Very unimpressive crash vid - http://dev.dakotadualsportriders.com/smf/index.php?topic=467.msg3939#msg3939

Yes, Camp 5 is my nemisis...I will conquer it again, one day.  Just not during this rally...bringing the wrong weapon for that battle!   ;D :evil

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 22, 2011, 09:21:51 AM
Bummer!! Can't get there from Galena anymore? >:(
Didn't know it was Camp 5 that brought your weekend to an end.
I can't say as I blame you. Maybe I'm thinking of another trail.
I went up over the Hill past Vinegar Hill Cemetery. Lots of logging up in that area last fall. Lots of up and down and pretty decent road actually but tight in places. Plenty of room for skidders though. Do I have the wrong road?

Lonesome Dave

Count me in, but no camping.  I live up Nemo Road so I'll just go home at night.  I'm planning on being there the afternoon of the 16th for whatever!  And, I'll be there every morning thereafter.  However, I also have my 3rd grandchild due at the same time, but I already told them NOT to expect me.  After all this is a DDSR rally!  Can't wait.
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Quote from: The Yeti on May 23, 2011, 09:45:50 PM
Well, here's the new MVU map of that area:

Sure looks to me like the trail stops right at the water crossing...will have to just wait and see I guess. (I added the green highlight.)

Is that the december version of the map? if not it is not correct, call the FS for the new version. Mine is at the office but I will take a look in the morning. Just because it isn't part of the trail system doesn't always mean it's not still a road, the whole thing is confusing as hell and even the FS can't expalin it??
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

The Yeti

This is the current color version that they have online only.  I guess I just assumed it's up-to-date.

Don't really matter to me, I ain't goin' nowhere near that place!   :o ;D