News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Official Sign-Up Thread

Started by The Yeti, April 05, 2011, 12:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Psyko

Probably not the right place to post this (sorry guys), but I just bought a Garmin 62cs but have discovered the installed map a little short of useless. There is a topographical map, or a street map upgrade available. Any idea if the topographical is that much better on the trails, or is it better to just get the upgraded street map?
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Bogus Jim

If you are coming to the rally you might want to look at the Forest Service GPS map. Price is right (free)

GPS Maps

I haven't used the Garmin Topo maps. I have City Navigator and that probably has about 50% of the forest service roads and none of the trails. Although, Camp 5 is listed, which I find hilarious. Camp 5 does not belong on a street map.  :o

jacin theis

Thanks Jim! thats sweet, i didnt know they had GPS maps. Cant wait to get home and load this!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

The Yeti

Topo is only useful for hiking IMO...way too much info (that you don't need) for riding trails, plus slow to draw.  City Nav has had just about every trail I've ridden in the hills.  There are a few missing, but pretty much all the fire roads are included in City Nav.

The MVU maps seem to have all the trails, but are very confusing to read (at least for me  ??? ). I have it on a separate micro SD card so I can swap between the MVU map and City Nav. Will be giving it the first real test during the rally...I haven't ridden much off road yet this season.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Bogus Jim

QuoteI have it on a separate micro SD card so I can swap between the MVU map and City Nav

On most Garmin GPS's I think you can toggle different maps on/off. I have the 60Cx; just hit Menu button on the map page, then select Setup Map, and you can select which maps you want displayed (or all of them at once). So I put City Nav and MVU on the same micro SD card.

plumber mike

OK Mr. Yeti......now it's official ;D I'll be there all the days, but I will likely sleep in my bed each night.

The Yeti

Quote from: BogusJim on June 08, 2011, 09:12:41 PM
QuoteI have it on a separate micro SD card so I can swap between the MVU map and City Nav

On most Garmin GPS's I think you can toggle different maps on/off.....

Not on mine - 60CSX.  It can only handle one map at a time. Kinda sux, my old Etrex could hold multiple maps though.

The Griz

I don't have a 'Motorized Trail Permit' for the 'TR' trails yet. Can I buy one on site? If not, where and when can one be purchased?

I know I could order one online, but I don't think it will get to me in time and I don't want to pay $25 to overnight it to MPLS.

If I do not get one, will I not be able to ride where everyone else is? Will I be screwed?

My bike is MN plated with a MN DNR Off Highway Motorcycle Permit. Headlight, tail light, mirror.

Thanks.
2009 BMW F800GS
2010 BMW G450X

loingrader

you will want to buy one.  don't pay to have it overnight shipped.

for those purchasing trail use tags once you get to the hills...

Most of the forest service places close at 5pm on Friday (Spearfish).  The one in Rapid is open on Saturday but the one near Pactola is open 7 days a week.  So if you don't get your tags by 5pm on Friday and don't want to ride to Rapid, Pactola is not terribly far away and it's a fun ride, on dirt or pavement.

FYI.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I put my hideous orange billboard (trail license) on my DRZ tonight.   Yuck!
Fortunately I'll cover it with mud ASAP.

Sportfaller

I'm sorry to announce that I wont be up there at all this weekend after all. My bike is still resting on pieces in the garage and my fiance will be home for the first time in a month.  There is an open house at the Fire Department in Hill City on saturday, If you guys are riding by at lunch time stop in and get a hotdog or hamburger!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

greatbuffalo

Bummer, we just may have to find our way down there for lunch. Enjoy your time with fiance.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Oh, he'll enjoy her, he still making up for the Moab crash..... ::)
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

The Yeti

Deal!  I'm always up for a free lunch!

Sorry you can't make it....   :P

Quote from: Sportfaller on June 14, 2011, 07:42:31 AM
I'm sorry to announce that I wont be up there at all this weekend after all. My bike is still resting on pieces in the garage and my fiance will be home for the first time in a month.  There is an open house at the Fire Department in Hill City on saturday, If you guys are riding by at lunch time stop in and get a hotdog or hamburger!

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on June 14, 2011, 10:03:30 AM
Deal!  I'm always up for a free lunch!

Sorry you can't make it....   :P

+1 on both accounts.  you going to be at the firehouse flipping burgers sportfaller?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro