News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

klr dead ignition

Started by NDave, April 07, 2011, 07:49:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NDave

guys  please help.      2007 klr has dead electrics once in a while.  No rime or reason as to when.  new battery did not cure .  Flickering tail lite has been problem in past 12 months.  Any hidden ground points to frame I should know about?       

Us NoDaks  expect winter to be over by June 1st so Gerry ,  Me , 2 or 3 others will be down for rally in June.

loingrader

more than likely it is a bad ground or a wonky fuse or fuse holder.  there isn't a lot of wiring on these bikes.  pull off the side covers, seat and tank and you should be able to trace basically all the wires. 

sometimes the ignition override for the kickstand and clutch lever can cause issues.  mine are both disconnected.  flickering tail light sounds like a ground problem to me though so i think you are certainly on the right track.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

OOFDA

Remove the seat and check the wire loom for chafing where it passes under the frame gusset and the top of the airbox. Kawasaki has issued a recall on some year models for this problem. Mine had started to wear in this area and I insulated the loom with a piece of rubber hose. Try hooking a multimeter in line with the positive battrey lead and terminal post, use the 200 milliamp scale. If no measurable draw try shifting wires about looking for a short or start pulling fuses to isolate circuits. 

Good Luck

OOFDA