News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

wee strom

Started by hellneau, April 08, 2011, 09:58:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hellneau

just bought a new-to-me DL650 V-strom. so far, I am kinda smitten. how many other wee strom riders are lurking out there?

NDave

2007 DL1000  bought on this site last summer from  Icycold      Love the gravel road manners    rode last winter but needed tires     just got new set of Shinko radials, not on yet     KLR is #1 bike      Big Vee is a nice #2     

hellneau

I am finding the more I ride the wee, the more I like it. (I really have not ridden it that much at all, but then again it is only May) I was riding down/up 385 the other day and I was wondering how much (more) fun a big DL would be. I have yet to do any type of backroads travel on it. Coming soon I am sure.

plumber mike

The Vstrom second to a KLR. Not exactly a ringing endorsement ;D

loingrader

Quote from: plumber mike on May 10, 2011, 08:28:42 AM
Not exactly a ringing endorsement ;D

getting a bit off topic but considering that the KLR650 is one of the best all around bikes ever built, coming in second to one wouldn't be too bad.  i would consider that a great endorsement!  i think the v's and wee's share the utilitarian nature of the KLR, just a little more pavement oriented.  they are both cheap, ugly, functional and fun (3 of my main priorities when choosing bikes)!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

NDave

Loingrader displays knowledge  and wisdom way beyond his years ;D

greatbuffalo

Loingrader, thats 4 priorities. ;D
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

plumber mike

Cheap + Ugly + Functional = Fun ;D

loingrader

Quote from: greatbuffalo on May 10, 2011, 10:39:54 PM
Loingrader, thats 4 priorities. ;D

true, but ugly isn't actually one of my priorities when picking motorcycles.  it just seems like the cheap functional ones also tend to be beautiful on the inside but not the outside so much.  beauty is in the eye of the beholder and riding even my ugliest motorcycle (beat up 83 Honda GL650i) still brings a big smile to my face.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Dr Psyko

I seem to like motorcycles more if they "need a friend" vs "check my credientials". I love my Road King, but it's for sale...
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

The Yeti

Crap.  Since I just bought a BMW, I s'pose I'm now considered 'oh, one of THOSE GUYS'.  :'( :-*
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

Quote from: The Yeti on May 11, 2011, 03:15:15 PM
Crap.  Since I just bought a BMW, I s'pose I'm now considered 'oh, one of THOSE GUYS'.  :'( :-*

don't worry yeti, all klr owners, past and present are automatically exempt from being one of "those guys."

Fletch

Quote from: The Yeti on May 11, 2011, 03:15:15 PM

uea, definetly on of "those guys" :) :)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

Some call my Tiger esthetically challenged as well. And Yeti, many call the BMW ugly as well.

Those of us that use a different yardstick to gauge beauty are at the forefront of today  motorcycle industry. The fastest growing markets in the MC industry is the dualsport / adventure tourer. The nature of these 2 wheeled Swiss army knives doesn't lend to designs "pleasing" to eye. What they do direct is a no nonsense, do it all design that we in the adventure seeking realm find endearing. Chrome, pinstripes, and fancy wheels be damned. If it can get me from point A to B through dirt, rocks, gravel, mud, pavement, and watercrossings with a huge smile plastered across my face...thats where the beauty is.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

Had never seriously considered owning a wee, but after 2 weeks of soul searching and web browsing, one followed me home.   My first two bikes were zuks but it has been 19 years since I last bought one. 

It's a fun little bike.  The road manners are great (even fully loaded 2 up), and dirt roads are a blast.  I'm really curious to see how it performs on some tough stuff in the hills.

Stay tuned...