News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab 2012

Started by jacin theis, May 24, 2011, 08:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jacin theis

Since last time i managed to exclude some folks based on the dates, this year i will give you PLENTY of time to tell us what works. 2011 was the week after Mothers day, Josh and i left may 11, the 19 wednesday of the year. We rode in snow and ice to make Moab.   
2012 the 19th Wednesday falls on May 9th, but Mothers day is May 13th.   To respect our mothers, i propose May 18-20 for the DDSR Moab 2012  ride. I personally like this as i plan to tie my 40th birthday into this trip. I am hoping to take a 2 week trip to "wander" where ever the roads may lead. I would though, be sure to be in Moab to ride with you fine folks.   I hope we can arrange this so more of you can attedn, but remember, we have a small window where the temps are enjoyable in the desert.
Plumber Mike and I agreed that this trip would have been tough without a recovery vehicle for Josh, and a trailer for Matts "necessities". So we will try to plan to have a truck haul gear and those who choose not ride. We can pitch in the money to help with fuel. I would like to send a bike with the truck, so i can ride the GS, but its a pig on the tough trails. We can also plan to cook at camp this way instead of eating in town each night. I think we were done riding in time each day to do this.
I think we learned a lot from the maiden trip, so can really make it less expensieve and more fun for everyone. Jerry and David had it down. i think we can build on their setup, and have a great 2nd annual DDSR Moab trip.   Who's in?
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Hank

I'd love to be in, but we'll have to see!

Looks like an absolute blast.

Fletch

looks like a blast to me......hmm.....I best check my vacation balance.....
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Sportfaller

I'm in! my bike will be over a year old by then, and with all the replacement parts I'm putting on it will need some fresh scratches!   I too will have to watch the available vacation though, cause I only get 2 weeks and I'll need to have some left over for wedding/honeymoon stuff (hopefully a bike will be involved!)
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Dr Psyko

I would love to go, but would need alot of lead time in order to get the PTO lined up. Thanks for starting the thread!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

hellneau

I am in - as long as you all don't mind waiting for me again, and again....

Lonesome Dave

Hey Hellneau, you sound like your in my riding class.  Besides whats the hurry!
Older - Wiser - Faster !

hellneau

that's what I've been sayin'

The Yeti

Just a suggestion - kinda thinking out loud:

What if we got rid of the Fall Black Hills Rally and moved it to Moab?  Would seem to be the perfect time (3rd week in September) for weather in Moab. Plus, the fall rally here really doesn't seem to get as much interest as the June rally does.

I do have an ulterior motive...May doesn't work at all for me. It's a Nielsen sweeps period and I'm stuck at work for the whole month.   :P
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

jacin theis

i wondered sorta the same thing. Fall should make getting there better for weather. Matt, can you give us your thoughts? are you familiar with the actual weather then, as opposed to NOAA averages. I also thouhgt that by then we would all have been riding and our skills would be a bit better. I know i was worked over by this being my first ride of the year, and it showed in the technical stuff. This is why i started the thread early, lets hear from everyone on the dates.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

plumber mike

If you were strength training all winter, you'd be in great shape :P

I'm open for whenever. You guys decide and I'll do my best to be there.

I'm ready to go back now ;D

The Yeti

If we switched Moab to Sept, we could go again in just under 4 months!   ;D

Also, maybe someone else could be responsible for the arrangements.  8)  I didn't go with you guys, but you said that the guys (Jerry & David) who set up the site and stuff did a great job...I nominate them!  ;D

Not that I mind setting up arrangements for the rally's in the hills, but I know absolutely nothing about Moab since I've never even been there.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Number Two

+1 fall rally in Moab. 

snooker

Hi guys...  I just happened to be snooping around - I really don't read your DDSR site, so somebody can email me if you want my attention, or PM "snooker" on Adv.  ;D

As for a Fall date...  it's similar to the spring in that there is a perfect window - to avoid the heat yet also avoid the potential for a cold wet day with mud and bike swallowing clay.  I don't know much more than the average weather stats...  I prefer a bit hotter and less chance of rain and mud/nasty clay.  It would be different if we were mtn biking and sweating our asses off - then I'd be inclined to chance the wet/cold weather and stay cooler.   So for motos I'd say the mid-May date in the Spring is optimum, and in the Fall I'd say it centers around 9/25 - 10/1 as optimum.  However there is one big difference to the Fall and that is there is much less daylight, sun sets at 7:00 instead of 8:30.  Makes time for dinners in camp a lot harder I've found.    I've camped there on Halloween and froze my ass off in the evenings around the campfire...

I'm thinking there are fewer people there in the fall and a bit easier to get a campsite.  BTW, the reason Gerry and David were able to get such a choice shady site is that they got there on Monday (I think?), if you arrive the end of the week it is much harder.  In fact, Gene and I were the last to leave our camp on Monday and there was already somebody moving in while we were packing to leave.  Arriving on Sunday is the best, of course it's not practical for most people but consider it.

If you set the date for the weekend of 9/24/11 I probably can't make it as that is my granddaughter's birthday weekend, but the weekend of 10/1 is a definite possibility and I'd love to go again.  But hell you can never find a date that fits everybody's schedule so plan it and I'll see...

torgo

Hello,  I'm new to the group but a Fall Moab would be fine with me.  I can make any schedule work as I just tell the bosses when I want off. 
By the way where is the jumping off point for this? 
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.