Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab 2012

Started by jacin theis, May 24, 2011, 08:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoniJo

OH..............always???  ???  Joni
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

loingrader

Quote from: JoniJo on October 11, 2011, 02:49:22 PM
OH..............always???  ???  Joni

Not much with this group is etched in stone, but yea, until we have a reason to change, spring at FNF, fall at a site of choice.

FNF takes pretty good care of us and they like having us stay with them but if we were in the northern hills all the time we would miss out on some prime riding in other parts of the hills, so we branch out a bit for the fall rally.  First in Nemo, then Plamer Gulch KOA, and now maybe Deerfield.  Plus, FNF and many other like to start closing up after labor day, so it is another good reason to branch out and see what we can find. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Bogus Jim

Plus, FNF is close to that Bulldog Canyon trail that Yeti and Joni like so much. I told them at the top that everyone was exhausted but they kept jumping up and down like kids, yelling "Again! Again!".   ;D ;D

JoniJo

FNF is awesome.
BogusJ.....I'll follow you almost anywhere!!!!!!   ::)  JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

excess

I'm all in for Moab. Whenever you guys decide the date i'm in. Is there a way to set up an email notification when a new reply is made to this thread? I have the attention span of a mentally unstable fruit fly and i always forget to check this board.

plumber mike

Now that we know where you live, we will be using your house for our new clubhouse, so you won't miss a thing ;D

Post up some pics of that MG Grease-O

jacin theis

Some excelant single track video ;

<iframe src="http://player.vimeo.com/video/30646199?title=0&amp;byline=0&amp;portrait=0" width="400" height="300" frameborder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="">Sovereign Moto Trails</a> from <a href="http://vimeo.com/user2329955">Chad Hummer</a> on <a href="http://vimeo.com">Vimeo</a>.</p>

from this ride report   http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=734153

WOW!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

loingrader

that 5 miles of hell trail looks perfectly awesome!!!

makes me want to have my trusty KDX out there. 

what an amazing ride!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

torgo

I hope I can fit this MOAB trip in.  I have a plated KDX I just put ten miles on tonight.  What a light and responsive machine compared to the KLR.  I am hoping to do the ALMOSTA Race in Jan. 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Almosta-Race/166512846708216

loingrader, I just recognized that you are in Platte,  I went to high school there and graduated in 86.  Life has taken over and I have never gotten back.

Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

loingrader

no kidding!  got any family left  in the area?  my wife (and her dad, and his dad, etc) was born and raised in Platte.  I'm an import but I'm planning on spending the rest of my life here.  pretty good place to raise a family.

Bogus Jim

Just in case anyone wants to see more video of the 5 miles of hell trail, here's the entire trail ride filmed in 7 parts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMNnZys1DDo

The rider is Dave Wood, former AMA motocross pro. He makes it look easy, 1 hr 18 minutes. Bike is KTM 300, camera is a Contour 720p.

torgo

Ok, I just got my National Geographic MOAB NORTH and MOAB SOUTH maps.  I downloaded the MOAB 101 off ADVrider and now am REALLY stoked to get on some of these trails. 

So how is the MOAB planning going?  Anyone need some help?

Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Fletch

After spending a few day in Moab at teh end of Sept. I am definately ready to go back! Strange question, but how many of you ski?? The locals around Moab said they recieve very little snow and it is usually gone in a day. Daytime temps are in the 50's most of the winter, so..... I was thinking of loading the bike and the ski's and heading that way. maybe a couple days skiing in CO followed by a few days of riding in Moab. Don't think it could get much better than that!?!?!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

greatbuffalo

I'm already planning a ski trip to Colorado in March. I have a friend that lives in Vail. Gonna try to do 4 mountains in 4 days; Vail, Breckenridge,keystone and Arapaho. Wish I could do it to correspond with a trip to Moab but don't think that will work. Me and my boys do this ski trip every year and it eats a lot cash. We'll have to see if there's some left for the spring Moab trip.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dratharr

The year before last I paired my trip to Moab with some moutainbiking. I stayed in Frutia CO for the first few nights and rode the MTB trails around there. It was so worth it the trails are amazing in and around that area. When I arrived in Moab, I rode the early mornings on the MTB and I rode my DS bike in the afternoons till evening. It was a blast, but I wish I would of had group to ride with. One day I rode with some guys from Texas that were camped next to me, but the rest of the trip I did on my own, which was fine, but I relied upon my cell phone and spot tracker to rescue me if I got into trouble. That was a limiting factor as to what trails I rode, I didn't want to get in over my head and end up with problems that couldn't handle on my own. It was my first trip to Moab, and it was worth it just to experience what I had been reading about for all those years in the MTB magazines, the dual sporting was great too, the landscape is so different than any other place I have previously been. I was in awe the entire trip, it was hard to concentrate on riding sometimes with the amazing landscapes before me.