News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moose Run - Dual Sport Rally - Walden, CO - July 15-17

Started by snooker, May 30, 2011, 05:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snooker

Attention!  To all my DDSR buddies up there in the thawing great north... 

Announcing the Moose Run, a Dual Sport Rally in north central Colorado on 7/15-17, 2011 !  See:  http://frontrangeriders.com/page4.html

Here in No Colorado we don't seem to be as organized for dual sport activities as you DDSR guys are, so I was excited to find out about something brand new this year - and for you guys it really is the shortest possible drive from the Dakotas to experience some dual sport riding in the Colorado Rockies as it will be based in tiny Walden, CO, (population 586) about 60 miles SW of Laramie, WY.   Camping will be at the fairgrounds and there are a couple of friendly cafes in town dying for your business!  This is an AMA sanctioned National Dual Sport ride because it is hosted by an AMA sanctioned club called Front Range Riders out of Ft. Collins, and they are getting some help from members of our long standing local dirt riders club called Northern Colorado Trail Riders.  I've never been a member of either one but I heard about this and called up some guys to ask more questions about it, since the web site link above doesn't really say that much.

Check-in is Friday July 15 and rides are on Sat and Sun.  It is a benefit ride to support the National Youth Project Using Minibikes (http://larimer.org/nypum/) to teach kids to ride small dirt bikes as behavior therapy, a local county project.  Registration is limited to the first 250 entrants and must be completed by July 1st, 2011. $65.00 non AMA members, $55.00 AMA member. Registration fees include T shirt, camping, BBQ dinner and music, route sheets and some of the best riding in the North Park area of Colorado.

It is their first year and they are late getting the word out, but I talked to a guy that will be marking the trails and I've been told that there will dual sport rides for riders of all levels.  They are having A, B, and C loops, where A and B will have a lot of single track and C is very easy (paved and graded dirt roads).  I've ridden some single track around there that simply winds through aspen trees and in this case ST does not always mean it is difficult since these A and B standards are dual sport, not dirt bike/enduro racing standards. On the other hand I'm sure there will be a lot of barely legal KTM's there... but your bike must be street legal.

You might be curious to see some of the terrain in this area which is covered by the Norther Colorado Trail Riders more in depth website: http://nctr.net/

I'll try to check this page from time to time if you have questions, or you can PM me at AdvRider.com (snooker).  Note I'm not affiliated with this event (yet?)...  Hope to see you there, I'm planning on it!

-matt

jacin theis

This sounds fun!  just thinking, but anyone interested in riding out to this? We could even trailer (yikes!)and share the driving.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

snooker

Bump!  Last night I happened to attend the meeting for the sponsoring group and heard more about the Moose Run.  Everything has just come online in the last 2 weeks and they have done a great job of keeping the price down - you get a ride, a t-shirt, BBQ and a band for the low price!  Also I'm confident that with 3 loops there will be a ride suitable for everyone.  Especially since this group is not dirt biker oriented but more Adventure/GS types - mostly BMW guys that meet at an independent BMW shop in Ft. Collins (Beemers & More). I was told for example the B loop should be doable by an 1100GS and even includes singletrack, where the A loop could even be done by an aggressive 1100 rider (Jacyn??)...

Of course they are hoping attendance is high and actually since the Forest Service has their permit restricted to only the first 250 riders - you might consider signing up as they DO expect to fill all the slots from the Front Range target audience - but who knows??

It's only about a 5 hour drive from Rapid to Walden I'm guessing - so I'd like to hear some chatter on this?  Any interest? Questions? Pro/con?  It sounds like fun to me (maybe because it's in my own back yard but hey it's 2 hours for me at least!)

-matt

plumber mike

I will check with the planning dept. I'd like to do a ride like that.

snooker

jacin theis

let me know Mike asap. i pretty much have the ok. we could ride out together if your up to it. We can leave thursday evening or friday morning.
1100 GS

plumber mike

snooker

bump..  I know it's DDSR rally time but....   plan ahead!   It's for the children!!!

snooker

Bump. Snooker here again!

I just signed up for this! If you are like me and waiting for a good time to get a fun pass from the social director - well... now's the time! Help these guys out and sign up by July 1st so they can plan the food and t-shirts, etc.. and so they see a good turnout is coming.   The area is beautiful, here are some pics of the A/B loop type singletrack stuff: http://www.frontrangeriders.com/photos.html  Based on the description I will be doing the B loop which will include some single track designed to make you sweat a little I hear.

I'm excited to see an organized dual sport ride here - people outside the Rockies are envious of our backyard and we have so much riding but very few organized events...

... so help these hard working organizers out and sign up this week!

"it's for the children!" (just tell her that!)   ::)

You better be there Jacin and Mike and any other lurkers out there!  C'mon down - turnout is looking slim at this point so it won't be crowded at all!

jacin theis

i REALLY want to go, but am traveling a lot for work still. We'll see what shakes out. I would love to bring the WR ( i need to redeam myself after the GS/Moab showing).   Mike, if i drive my pickup can you sneak away and ride along for a fast trip?  anyone else? i have room for 4.....
1100 GS

plumber mike

plumber mike

torgo

Damn, I am going to miss this by 6 days.  Work sucks sometimes.  >:(
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

snooker

OK guys thanks for the chatter...   I hear from the inside that there will be plenty of t-shirts so you can always just show up on Friday the 15th unannounced - the only thing you might not get is the free BBQ.  What about number 1 (or whatever your name is) from Laramie?   Missed you in Moab - you should make this one it is SO close!   And Jacin I sure hope to see you there!  I'd ride my XR400 but I never bothered plating it for real (only faking it for Baja)...

So keep it in mind, I'll be there for sure and get this...  (a rare thing)...  I'm packing my camping gear onto my bike and RIDING THERE!  yeah yeah I know it's a dual sport but for me I like to pack all my shit in a cage and drive there - but this one is so close I can't justify it.  I'm packing VERY light though...  ;D

I'm planning on riding the B loop unless it is very wet  - single tracks here we come! 

cheers boyz, ride safe!
-matt                         (stuck commuting in Front range hell)

Number Two

Number_Two here in Laramie.  Just got the ok from the doc to start riding again.  Not sure I could coax a scooter to the starbucks at this point.

I will track this thread pending a test ride or two.

Snooker, what bike are you riding?