News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moose Run - Dual Sport Rally - Walden, CO - July 15-17

Started by snooker, May 30, 2011, 05:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snooker

I'll be riding my trusty BMW G650XCountry  :'(   (old picture...)   and I'm riding THERE this time, from Loveland.

loingrader

geez snooker    :o

that makes it tough to ride back to camp.  i understand that bmw's are sweet and all, don't get me wrong, but i personally don't see the allure of any bike that can break like that.  i think you and plummer mike average more in repairs per year than i spent to purchase my klr.  i know, apples to oranges and all but wow.  what a break!
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

jacin theis

wait until he tells you hows fast he was going when it failed! we are lucky hes still with us
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

snooker

Quote from: loingrader on July 05, 2011, 04:10:16 PM
geez snooker    :o

that makes it tough to ride back to camp.  i understand that bmw's are sweet and all, don't get me wrong, but i personally don't see the allure of any bike that can break like that.  i think you and plummer mike average more in repairs per year than i spent to purchase my klr.  i know, apples to oranges and all but wow.  what a break!
I can't argue with your logic, porkshredder.  BMW went to a lot of aluminum based castings to make this bike lighter, and it is has issues for sure.
I don't want to hijack my own thread but I have thrashed through all of this on the XCountry thread on ADV so much that sometimes I forget that there are people out there that didn't hear the whole story.  I was on the LA Barstow 2 Vegas ride passing somebody that was going about 60 and I got tired of eating his dust, and I hit a small dip going about 70.  Both sides snapped and the bike did not go down and yeah Jacin was I ever lucky on that day.   So lucky that I went to the hospital the next day to meet another rider who was not so lucky and had a bad crash -as I felt it was part of my karma.     

It was not that big of a hit really but the swingarm was pre-stressed by a crappy oem shock that was prone to bottoming and I had to buy a different one.  But I do think my cast aluminum swingarm was a faulty casting as well as others on the off road model XChallenge have told me they have thrashed theirs and I didn't let mine bottom except the rare unavoidable ones.

Anyhow here is the web site I made to explain it all to BMW to plead my case, and at the end is a link to my ADV post that explains the whole thing if interested:
http://mattsnook.com/bmw/bmwXCountry/swingarm/big/index.htm

Pics of the LAB2V ride: http://mattsnook.com/bmw/20101126LAB2Vegas/index.htm

Now back to making it to Walden,CO for the Moose Run...    Jacin?????    LoinGrater (that's how I heard it at first)...

jacin theis

i am still trying to put the trip together. it is a really busy time for me. work trips, visitors, etc. it might be lastminute, might not happen. I AM trying though.....
1100 GS

plumber mike

Hey that sounds like my life right now.

with the not so trusty xco down, it would be a long ride on the xl250.

brett- i wont admit your right  on the internet ,but you definitely make a good point.im ready  to try a klr but have no money left.maybe just a klr swingarm upgrade  ::)

loingrader

to each his own, and i would be lying if i said that there aren't 6 or 7 bmw's i'd love to have in my garage. 

i just don't like that they market your bike for off road, but if people ride it off road it breaks and mother BMW acts like they are doing you a huge favor if they happen to fix it for you.  mike, your broken frame fiasco still chaps my a$$ and it wasn't even my bike!

ok, off topic rant over.

i'd love to hit the moose run.  looks like a heck of a fun time.  i'm spending all next week on tablerock lake down in southern missouri with the fam and my vaca is gone for awhile. 
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Number Two

Rode for a couple hours, and felt pretty good.  I'm on PT for shoulder now, so I think I will be good to go.  I welded up my aluminum subframe, so the bike is shaping up too. 

Only hitch at the moment is getting the pig dB tested locally.

snooker

Quote from: Number Two on July 07, 2011, 05:25:27 PM
Rode for a couple hours, and felt pretty good.  I'm on PT for shoulder now, so I think I will be good to go.  I welded up my aluminum subframe, so the bike is shaping up too. 

Only hitch at the moment is getting the pig dB tested locally.
Hey Number 2 .. number 2... number 2...
C'mon up the weather is shaping up as the monsoon we've had for 10 days is supposed to stop this Thursday so it should be great.  I'm doing the B loop and there is some supposedly easy single track in it, I've ridden this area before a little and it has Forest Service roads criss-crossed with motorcycle only designated single track.  I know a lot of guys like it there, of course some of it is harder and I think he is keeping that on the A loop.  There is one water crossing that is pretty swift he said, but should not be a problem.  I hope not as I cannot swamp my G650X as I don't have the goofy wrench I need to pull the spark plug out (after I take out about a million screws to get the faux gas tank off)...

And Josh and anybody else - now is the time to decide to come.  You don't HAVE to sign up ahead of time, you just are not guaranteed any of the catered BBQ - no biggie, Walden has other food places.

I'll be on my previous shown black G650X, Colo plate is "XC" and I'll have a small old bright green Eureka Timberline tent at the fairgrounds - they said in some mowed grass they'll have camping.
I will check this thread on Friday morning before I leave and I hope somebody else out there says they are coming!  (gimme your bike/license/ some way to find you info)...

Finally, check this Adv thread for the latest news: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=670435&page=9

jacin theis

looks like i am out. I can not sem to get my rental/basement repairs done fast enough, and have guests coming from Cnada the 24th. Thanks for the invites Snooker. Are you going ot make the fall rally so we can ride again?
1100 GS

snooker

Quote from: jacin theis on July 12, 2011, 07:43:54 AM
looks like i am out. I can not sem to get my rental/basement repairs done fast enough, and have guests coming from Cnada the 24th. Thanks for the invites Snooker. Are you going ot make the fall rally so we can ride again?
<sigh> oh well next time brother man!  ...too soon to tell about the fall rally for me... until then wish me look that I don't drown my finicky little delicate aluminum horse...

snooker

Quote from: Number Two on July 07, 2011, 05:25:27 PM...Only hitch at the moment is getting the pig dB tested locally.
Will the USFS ranger office in Laramie do it?? I've heard that other ones will do a sound check.

Number Two

Sound check didn't pan out.  I guess I'm going to bail on this one.  The hole in my exhaust is big enough for birds to nest in.  Snooker, have fun.  We need to get together for a ride at some point.

In other news, I finally laid hands on a map to the trails at Albany, so I know where I'm headed.  100 miles o singletrack here I come.

jacin theis

Where is Matt on giving us the report on this?? Was it great? Should we all makle plans now for next year? I really wanted to make it, but there arent enough weekend in the summer.....
1100 GS

snooker

Quote from: jacin theis on July 27, 2011, 02:46:24 PM
Where is Matt on giving us the report on this?? Was it great? Should we all makle plans now for next year? I really wanted to make it, but there arent enough weekend in the summer.....
aHa!  so there IS interest??
Yes this was a great time - awesome organized rides with A, B and C, and free BBQ and a band on Sat, free camping, yet AMA sanctioned ride (was in the back of the AMA Motorcyclist magazine I noticed)... plus a t-shirt, all for $55.   You should all plan it for next year.  For you Jacin, I would trailer your Yammy WR250 because the single track is awesome (the B loop only had about 10 miles of the easiest single track, lots of 4WD and some graded dirt and pavement, but the A loop had plenty of plated KTM guys and the single track is really nice stuff, and the C loop was 90% graded dirt and pavement but beautiful.  There were about 100 riders but did not feel big at all.

Here are some links to more pics I took:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16504860&postcount=183
and this link explains the picture to follow:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16504589&postcount=5474