News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

DDSR June 2011: The Aftermath!

Started by The Yeti, June 19, 2011, 09:52:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Just wanted to let you all know that I had a lot of fun this weekend, stayed within my limits, kept it upright, and no helicopters needed!   ;D

You're all a great bunch of guys and gals, and I enjoyed riding with every one of you! Can't say that I remember Thursday night all that well - Scoobynut was feeding me premium beers all night, and I was chasing 'em with cheap beer.   :chug

I swore to stay away from Camp 5 this year - AND I succeded...but, I'm not so sure that Bulldog Canyon was any easier.  Thanks for that Bogus Jim!  :-\  I can't stop thinking about that never-ending hill - and feel this irrational need to go back...soon!   :evil

I had a great time and I'm already am looking forward to next year!

Thanks for making it a great rally everybody!!

"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

+1

enjoyed riding and getting back in touch with everyone.  we've got a great group.  hope everyone had as much fun as we did and thanks for everyone who led groups or had a part in making this another sucessful rally.

see ya next time.

-bret
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Bogus Jim

It was a fun rally. We'll have to take gerry1eye up Bulldog Canyon next time he is down here; he would love it. The rock fairy definitely paid a visit to that trail.

Some guys are really rough on their bikes at these rallies... NDave was doing 94mph on his KLR up to Pringle and then over lunch he started complaining that his rear brakes were shot. Jeez I wonder why.

Hank

+1 again, was a great time.   Thanks to the group of single track nuts that took me out on Sat.  Was a lot of fun.  I'll be coming back next time with bark busters installed.
I'll post up a video and tracks for that ride soon.

Bulldog canyon sounds fun.

Scoobynut

Likewise everyone, I had a great time, even though I was pretty damned scared a few times on the early Friday morning part of the ride with Yeti.  I think it might've been payback for me gettin' him a little too tipsy the night before! ;D  Seriously though, I'm pretty inexperienced with the technical stuff but I think I'm maybe a little bit better after this weekend.  I'm still amazed I didn't go down at all -- I was pretty sure it was about to happen about a 1/2 dozen times.  I did pick up a nice battle scar on one of my crashbars, though, from banging into a big rock on the other side of that mud hole...

Thanks again to Yeti for mapping a fun route, especially the milder stuff after lunch in Roach Fort (strange name for a town ain't it?).

I'd also particularly like to thank Hank and Joanie for shepherding my slow, newbie ass through all the trails on Friday.  I'm pretty sure without their guidance I'd still be somewhere in the forest wondering when that danged helicopter was gonna show up.

Just a great group of guys and gals, all of you, and really glad I showed up for the rally.  I'll be back!  Maybe you all could draw straws to see who gets stuck with the rookie next time...ha...

PS  Will post some pictures in the appropriate place soon once I get them uploaded.

Hank

No worries Scooby, I had a great time on Friday too.    I could see you gaining confidence (and skill) through the day.
We're all noobs compared to someone.  I'm sure I looked like a complete hack on Sat. with the group I was with.. but I don't care, it was fun!

JoniJo

Thank God for....
The Hills!!!!!
The DDSR people!!!!!
The riding!!!!
The beautiful weather!!!!
The Yeti's chili!!!!
FNF!!!!!
....and safe travel home. I miss you guys already!!!!!

Hey Scoobynut..... It was a pleasure meeting you! Your on a fast learning curve with that KLR!!! By the way, I wasn't following you to keep you from going awry. I was staring at your buttocks.  ;D
                                                                                                            JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Scoobynut

Thanks for that Hank, very glad you had fun anyways.  And thanks the encouraging words.  I'm definitely sure I'd like to bring less bike next time around, not that it will make me any better, but would probably help the ol' confidence some.

As for you, Miss JoniJo, and your lewd comment, well, all I can say is I feel so violated (Now that I know what you were up to).   You, ma'am, are a pistol, that's fer sure!   ;D

The Yeti

Scooby - you just need to wrench that WRR away from your son. It's a much better weapon than the KLR for the tricky parts.  Hell, it even makes me look like I know what I'm doing!  ;D

jacin theis

What the h##L??     At the fall rally Joni was buying cloths for everyone to put on, at this one she was mentally taking them off?     It must have been a fun rally! sorry i missed all the beer, i mean riding.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Scoobynut

Quote from: The Yeti on June 20, 2011, 03:08:39 PM
Scooby - you just need to wrench that WRR away from your son. It's a much better weapon than the KLR for the tricky parts.  Hell, it even makes me look like I know what I'm doing!  ;D

Funny you mention that.  I intend to bring my son to the next DDSR and he'll need it for that anyways, so, ahem, yeah, I've already been trawling Craigslist today for a nice used WRR, 'cause I don't think the kid will give it back too willingly.   :'(  I've got a Super Tenere on the way, so that'll take the place of the KLR anyways (and then some), but it sure would be nice to have my very own WRR to complement it.  I'll take your comment as tacit approval of my evil plan.   :evil

Osnabrock

Again, I had a blast.  It was nice to ride some of the same trails as last year and see how they change over time.  As BogusJim mentioned, there is definitely a rock fairy at work in the area.  I was sure to make some notes of areas that I hope to visit again.
The lesson learned for me was to put the map away and just ride.  Everything I was looking for gradually revealed itself if I only put myself into the area, put away the map, and explored.  I owe Sprout a warm Miller for that advice.
I'll be checking back often to see everyone's photos and video.  We found some fun tracks.
-John

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

The Yeti

Quote from: Osnabrock on June 20, 2011, 07:54:54 PMThe lesson learned for me was to put the map away and just ride.  Everything I was looking for gradually revealed itself if I only put myself into the area, put away the map, and explored.  I owe Sprout a warm Miller for that advice.

I agree! Just wandering around is the best way to explore the trails in the hills...maybe we'll try more of that next June - no maps, no GPS, just RIDE!

jacin theis

Yeti, did you fall again? no maps, no GPS?  pretty soon youll tell us its a dry event.....
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

iceycold

Well looks like a great time was had by all. I missed yet another... sadly. I had some out of state visitors and you just can't take a goldwing any place you guys go so... I passed thru the FnF Sunday about 11:30 or maybe it was later and well you know. Hopefully next time. The DR 650 is ready when ever it stops raining and the mud dries some or I might have to take it's one lung out and convert it in some way to power the arc that I should be building. The RT is still with me provides better rain protection and runs the northern hills just fine. Miss you all and be safe.. enough to enjoy the fun.
Great pics and vids too btw. that one water crossing splash should be on the advrider start up thingie.
DL1000- 07 >gone but not forgotten<
R12RT- 08
DR 650- 09
for God sake do it before 2012