News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Results

Started by OOFDA, June 26, 2011, 09:15:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OOFDA

Well, I have over 3000 miles on the Schnitz kit and all is well. The oil is staying much cleaner and has not used any. High fives all around! It definately has more power but I suffered a drop in fuel mileage of about 8 mpg. This is no doubt due, in part, to not having it tuned properly, running on the rich side. It is a real PITA to remove the spark plug to get a reading and also to make any adjustments to the carb. I removed the fresh air valve and plugged the hole in the head which makes it so I can pull the plug without removing the fairing. Not when its hot. A friend of mine has a chassis dyno and a exhaust gas analyzer which will make the tune up process much easier.

Schnitz claims less vibration with their kit but I didn't notice any change. Didn't have much vibration to begin with. I put a set of ROX rubber mounted handlebar mounts on more to raise and move the bars back so I can sit more upright rather than lean forward. Much more comfortable! I planned to attend the spring ride but changed plans. Sounds like it was a success, how can it not be? I have a trip to Moab planned this summer and hope to stop by a ride the BH. If anyone is going the Schnitz route I will help all I can, just give a shout. It is not at all hard to do and well worth bucks!

OOFDA

loingrader

great info.  thanks for the update.  getting around 40mpg?  let us know when you get it dynoed and get the mixture dialed in what your mpg is.

Thanks OOFDA
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

OOFDA

Your right - 40 mpg. If it doesn't improve after the dyno tests I may have to go to an aftermarket exhaust to get better performance. Don't really want more noise. Has anyone tried a different exhaust that didn't get really annoying?

OOFDA

Dr Psyko

I have a "Big Gun" exhaust on my KLR, and it's too loud. I even repacked it this spring, still too loud. After I got home from the rally, It sounded weird. I looked at the motor and discovered that the nuts on the header pipe had disappeared, and the pipe was about 1/8th off the motor. Vibration will do strange things.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

Lonesome Dave

Yea the rock fairy and that damn "Bulldog Canyon" will do also!  :P
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Dr Psyko

I also lost my right side axle/chain adjuster plate and nut(s). Time to start buying more locking nuts.

Dr Psyko

Just checked my mileage on the KLR. Stock 2006, with bumped jets and needle, massaged carb, K&N air filter, open air box, Big Gun exhaust. Mostly highway commuting on this tank of fuel at 65-75, 46.5 mpg.

loingrader

not bad for the exhaust and carb massaging.  my 1992, bone stock is right about there with the same type of riding.  it was 44.2mpg this morning after 70mph commuting.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

greatbuffalo

What a difference Fuel injection makes. My triumph Tiger get better mileage loaded down than your KLRs. I still want one though.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

loingrader

fuel injection is awesome (on my 1 bike that has it).  i wonder what the difference in mpg would be at a steady 55mph.  our klr's are starting to get a little wrapped out at 70mph.