News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Boxelder/Nemo Recon

Started by The Yeti, August 24, 2008, 10:46:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

In anticipation of the upcoming ride in less than a month, I went out on a little recon of the Boxelder Forks/Nemo area today. Although there was thunderstorms threatening all afternoon, I really don't mind getting soaked a bit, especially after the ATV trail below, I was HOT!

Fist stop: Boxelder Forks campground. I've rode by the area before, but have never stopped. Very nice campground, beautiful setting, complete with babbling brook. Should be a perfect home-base for our travels!

This is the first campsite in the place. There are three right in a row here, these are probably the three sites that are open when we'll be there. The other sites are across the creek, over a little bridge.

After checking out the campground, I found a very interesting little trail just down the road. Was almost hidden behind some thick foliage, but I managed to spot it. Had to cross this little bridge at the very start of the trail.

Turned out to be a VERY narrow ATV trail with a lot of whoops!

The trail was very rutted in some spots. No doubt a result of the copious amounts of rain we've had around Nemo this year, and exacerbated by irresponsible off-road behavior.

More whoops, some banks, and some not-too-scary hill climbs!

I ended up running into a large mud bog (sorry, no pic) that I was unwilling to cross solo. This little ATV trail really took it out of me, and the nine-fiddy, fan running constantly, and my front brakes got so warm that they were pulsing afterwards. Didn't realize how hard I was working until after I stopped....outa breath, sweating my ass off, leg muscles twitching....it was f*ckin' great! Can't wait to go back with some wingmen!

After the workout on the tight ATV trail, I was ready for something a bit more easy. On up the road about another ΒΌ mile, I took the turn marked "Old Sawmill Road". Was well-graded gravel road for a couple miles. Saw some other riders.

Road turned into a decent fire road with some good challenges (rocks, ruts, tight turns), and I stopped at this great overlook. This cliff was almost straight down for a few hundred feet and the trial continued on right along the edge!

The road got a lot narrower after the overlook.

I walked up around the next bend and saw this:

Doesn't look like much in this pic, but that is one rocky, steep-ass hilclimb at the top of the pic. I wasn't willing to try it solo, so turned around and went the way I came.

You can hear the thunder coming my way at the end of this video. I've never been caught on the dirt in the rain, and don't want my first time to be a solo venture!

So I hauled ass back to Nemo Road. Not long after I got onto the asphalt, the skies opened up and soaked me pretty good. Was nice and cool and I really like my new waterproof camera!

I don't think we'll have to travel far to start our daily adventures, there are a TON of trails around this area!  There is NO WAY we're gonna run out of new trails to explore, would take at least a week or more.  I found a couple new trails that I've never been on before, and hit a wall on each one that I would be unwilling to attempt without riding partners. Exactly what this kinda trip is meant for!  Can't wait to risk my life with you guys...again!!!   ;D
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

Great work Alan.    Looks like some fun stuff and a nice area.  I'm counting down the days!

loingrader

it's good to know that there are trails close.  that little ttr225 i'm bringing out is revved up to high heaven just doing 60mph, so she's not exactly the best at long highway jaunts to find trails.  nice work alan.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on August 25, 2008, 11:54:58 AM
it's good to know that there are trails close.  that little ttr225 i'm bringing out is revved up to high heaven just doing 60mph, so she's not exactly the best at long highway jaunts to find trails.  nice work alan.

Seriously?   You're not riding the KLR out?

loingrader

my brother is doing a pharmacy rotation at fort meade in september.  i'm gonna haul the klr and the ttr out so that he will have a bike to ride.  i'm trying to get him to catch the ds bug.

i hate hauling motorcycles (it's against my religion) but it's worth it to share a weekend of camping and ds riding with my brother and my friends.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Hank

I think I have another friend talked into riding my 400 out.  That will be an adventure in itself.

Hank

Any trout in that stream?  Maybe we could catch our evening meal!

loingrader

as you're not in a huge hurry, that 400 should do just fine.  i'll be interested to know how he does on that bike.

The Yeti

Quote from: Jason H. on August 25, 2008, 12:17:19 PM
Any trout in that stream?  Maybe we could catch our evening meal!

Should be, you catch 'em, I'll cook 'em!

Hank

If I had any extra chain slack, I'd gear up the 400 one T on the front for the drive out and switch back when I was there, but the chain is brand new and it wouldn't work.   The thing has all kinds of power (3-4 more hp than a KLR), but it's geared stupidly low for highway use. 

The tentative plan is to leave ~3pm thursday and try to get most of the way out.. probably finish up Fri morning.   So we might be in a bit of a hurry...

loingrader

that will be fun.  maybe a little buzzy on the hands and feet, maybe a few more gas stops, may even use just a little oil if you're at high rpm's for extended amounts of time (as i'm sure you are obviously aware of), but it will make the trip just fine.  your outlaw brother making the trip on the klr with you guys? 

The Yeti

Bret,

You'll have a blast on that ATV trail with the 225! No way us big boys will be able to keep up.  ;D

Jason,

You're still bringing your 950, aren't you? I'd hate to be the only one on a giant bike.  ;D

Hank

Oh for sure, I'll be riding the nine-fiddy.   I think I've got another friend riding my 400.  He currently has a VFR800.

The 400 will be really buzzy on the way out, but the worst part is the seat - hence I'm looking for a seat pad.