News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

The Commute Challenge

Started by loingrader, October 25, 2011, 02:35:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plumber mike

I have considered changing careers to be able to commute on a bike ???

The best I've come up with is using the bike for estimates and small repairs. It's good enough to write it off, but not enough to scratch my itch.

I think I could get alot accomplished if....err....when I get a utility sidecar ;D

jacin theis

So the ride to and from work was cold today. Really, felt colder then 25. But in my defense, i am a wuss.  Thinking about heated gear, but 300 for a liner and controller, plus another 200 for gloves is crazy talk. is it worth it?
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Lonesome Dave

Well, my commute is 11 miles and is up and down winding and beautiful Nemo Road.  I can't complain at all.  And then, many times I ride the different trails home from the Black Hawk and Piedmont areas.  On any given day I might be stressed out at the end of the day, but by the time I'm home, especially when I'm riding trails home, I'm as happy as can be.  The downside is I have more snow and the roads stay slippery longer, especially on the shaded curves, and then when its not slippery, they put boatloads of sand down to make it more fun!  And I can't forget to mention the suicidal deer.  But hey, I'm not complaining, I love my commute.  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

Quote from: jacin theis on November 16, 2011, 06:30:32 PM
So the ride to and from work was cold today. Really, felt colder then 25. But in my defense, i am a wuss.  Thinking about heated gear, but 300 for a liner and controller, plus another 200 for gloves is crazy talk. is it worth it?

I just have a Kanatsu (sp?) vest from Aerostitch. Got it for $125 several years ago and it is Great!!! Can't beleive I rode without one for all those years?  It doesn't feel hit, but if you turn it off you get cold fast. Definately worth the $$$ IMO.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

loingrader

i just wear a fleece vest under my stich and have some widder heated gloves.  that is all i need to stay tolerable for 40 minutes or so down to about 10 f.

if there is a big crosswind my face and neck/head get cold but if no wind, or head/tailwind, i'm good. 

thinking warm thought's helps a ton as does riding in the daylight.  it seems about 10 degrees colder to me when it is dark.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro