Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Tubeless Wheel Conversion??

Started by torgo, November 26, 2011, 09:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

torgo

Ok,  I was cruising around on the KLR.net forum and ran into this:

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=50643&highlight=sealing+rims

Has anyone converted your spoke rims to tubless?

???
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

agspecialties

not sure if i would do that. It nice that when you have a flat, you can pull over and fix it with a patch or a tube. With this if you blow a tire, you sort of up shit creek maybe. Not sure if a tube would fit in there for you. I guess you can carry one of those plug kits.
I like running tubes. I run tubes in my GS just for that reason. I know that i can fix a tube. A couple of years ago, a buddy of mine went up to Alaska on his BMW. We had this same disussion. Well, he had a flat with tubless tires. Waited on the road for 8 hours for a tow truck. Got back to a tire station, couldn't fix it. Had to wait 3 days for a tire.

loingrader

I hate tubes.  Catch a nail on the highway and a tubed tire is flat almost instantly.  Not good.  Tubeless could take a day or more to go flat and a plug takes seconds to put in vs many minutes w special tools and a way to support the bike w one tire to replace a tube.    Tire changes much easier without tubes and no pinch flats w tubeless tires.

But to each his own!    ;D

I have yet to see a foolproof long term fix on the conversion from tubes to tubeless.  Seems like most sealants start leaking before too long.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Osnabrock

I've heard of a few people putting this set up on their dual sport bikes, even a one person I've heard of installed it on his bike for the Mexican 1000.  I've heard that even when you get a flat, the tire will be more likely to stay on the rim.  If you ride too long on a flat with a tube, your valve stem goes and then you're in real tough shape. 
On a dual sport bike it sounds like a good idea.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Bogus Jim

It might be sacrilegious to put tubeless tires on a KLR. I don't think tubeless tires were even invented when the KLR was introduced.  ;D

Dratharr

I have the Tubliss system installed in my 450 KTM that I ride up in the hills all the time. I did have one instance where I couldn't get the tire patched with a string patch last summer. It was over by Nemo, when a sharp rock about 2" long went right through my tire leaving a big gash that was way too big to plug. I carry a spare tube with me for just those kind's of occasions. The big advantage is way less rotational weight so the bike handles much better, and for normal flats a string patch will work just fine. Also in most areas I can run lower pressures, but in the Black Hills with all the sharp rocks I have learned to run at least 13PSI front and back. But it overall is a great system, I have been running them for 2 years now. But I wouldn't recommend it for a pure dual sport set up, I don't think it would be ideal for street usage, plus by the time you put enough weight on the rim to balance the system out the weight savings would be negated.

Bogus Jim

QuoteI carry a spare tube with me for just those kind's of occasions.

I think that is a good idea, whether you run tubes, tubeless, or Tubliss. I used to just carry a patch kit but last fall I sliced the rear tire pretty bad. Amazingly the tube still held air and I was able to limp home, but, that convinced me that a patch kit is not enough. (if you ride in the rocks)

greatbuffalo

There's someone that makes a split tube for just those occasions so you don't have to remove the wheel. Not sure I'd ride forever on one but I think it would get you back. I tried to find a link but failed.
The tube is just like usual but its like they have cut it and sealed the cut ends. Don't remember where I saw this. Anyone know what I'm talking about?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Dratharr

Quote from: BogusJim on November 28, 2011, 08:16:58 PM
QuoteI carry a spare tube with me for just those kind's of occasions.

I think that is a good idea, whether you run tubes, tubeless, or Tubliss. I used to just carry a patch kit but last fall I sliced the rear tire pretty bad. Amazingly the tube still held air and I was able to limp home, but, that convinced me that a patch kit is not enough. (if you ride in the rocks)

That is for sure, MSR makes a really nice ultrathin tube that takes up very little space in a fanny pack, or fender pack. I have never had a problem riding in other areas with rocks slicing tires, but I had it happen twice in one trip last summer. I spent more time running into Rapid to buy new tires then I did riding that trip. FWIW I really like the Tubliss system it really transforms how my bike handles in the rough, some of the literature says it takes up to 3 lbs. of weight off of the wheel when compared to a HD tube. That weight is rotational weight so it is amplified exponentially, the front of the bike just feels a lot lighter and the bike steers better. Slavens Racing has some good videos on his website explaining the benefits, and the installation instructions. I am just watching the snow fall here in Western Nebraska, I cant wait for spring to get here, I am thinking a trip to Moab will be in order early this spring!