News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Tires

Started by DynoDan, September 01, 2008, 04:13:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DynoDan

OK guys, what is your favorite tire? And compaired to what others?
I want to reshoe the KLR before coming out in September.
So may motorcycles so liitle garage space, money and time.

Hank

Not that I've tried all that many dualsport tires, but I was very happy with Kenda K270s on my KLR.    I've read about a million tire threads on other forums, and the K270s have many fans among KLR riders.   Decent longevity, good off road, pretty darn good on road.   And very, very cheap!

When I return to the KLR flock, or if I have to get new tires for my DRZ, I'll get them again.

Hank

Dustin just put a new pair on his KLR.   Hopefully he'll chime in on the topic.   I think Bret (loingrader) also had K270s on his KLR.

The Yeti

Had TKC 80s on my KLR and loved 'em! Great in the mud and loose stuff and still railed thorugh the turns on the tarmac!
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

fringefan

Just ordered a rear and a cheng shen 858 front about 2 months ago from Black Hlls power sports for $80 and should have them within the next two weeks. A few weeks later than expected so I hope they show up before the 20th. Tired of riding semi bald tires but I was very tempted to buy the TC80.

loingrader

1+ for the kenda k270's.  they are cheap, do well off road, and well on the highway.  i have noticed nothing that others complain about in the handling department.  wet roads, curvy roads, etc.  they work great (just remember that they aren't a track spec tire.

got 4000 miles on my tires currently, and they've got another 1-2k left on them.

i'll never put anything else on my klr.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Jud

The K270 is the best bargain in a DP tire. I also like the CS858; I would run them more often if they were easier to get. But I gotta say the D606 is really my favorite. They are priced reasonably and will outlast all other DOT knobbies.

I have three DS bikes with D606s on them right now, except for the K270 rear that I recently mounted on my KLR.

Dustin

+1 for the Kenda's. I put just over 1000 miles on my new k270's and love them. They work very well in the dirt and on the slab.

DynoDan

So what I am seeing here is that you guys are mostly running knobbies and not some blend of street/knobby cross, such as the Distanza, Anakee, Tourance, Sahara, Escape, or Gripster? Do you get in many situations that would require a knobby in the Hills?

The Yeti

QuoteDo you get in many situations that would require a knobby in the Hills?

You can't be serious... ???

Courtesy Flexlarson

DynoDan

I currently have Distanza's on it now and have no problem with rocks or dry dirt on single track, the problem with it in those situations is too tall gearing and the bike's weight. I was more concerned about loose dirt, wet grass and mud.

Yeti, are you telling me you road up that wash in the background?

The Yeti

QuoteI currently have Distanza's on it now and have no problem with rocks or dry dirt on single track, the problem with it in those situations is too tall gearing and the bike's weight. I was more concerned about loose dirt, wet grass and mud.

Ahhh, I see now. yeah, you could get by with street tires, I did during the last DDSR rally, even rode some rock gardens that looked pretty much like the above pic. It was the wet & mud that caught me out with those tires. Usually, the wet stuff is easy enough to bypass, but sometimes you just gotta go through (or turn around). I don't ride enough slab to justify the loss of performance off-road with a more street oriented tire, I'll stick with my knobbies.

You could do what Hank did, just put a knobby on front...he seems to like it.

QuoteYeti, are you telling me you road up that wash in the background?

No that pic is from Flexlarson. But we did ride some very similar creek beds during DDSR#1.

Hank

Yeah my combo of a 908RR knob on the front and Scorpion on the back is a good compromise.
The Scorpion is an "all terrain" tire.  I'd put it at a 70/30 street / dirt split.   Really decent in dry conditions, very marginal when it gets sticky or muddy.

loingrader

and those non-knobby tires really suck when it gets muddy AND sticky.  right hank?

in the hills there are plenty of creek crossings, mud, rutted/washed out trails, loose rocky hill climbs, piles of pine needles, tall (wet in the mornings) grass, and snow depending on the season. 

i commute 60 miles (70mph) on my klr every day.  i run k270's.  85% of my klr riding is on pavement.  but when i'm fortunate enough to be riding that 15% dirt, i want my tires to work, and work well, and they do.

that's my $0.02.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

joedaddy

My stock tire wore out at 1200 miles on my 08 klr ordered a avon gripster for the rear and kept the stock tire up front.  I'm at about 5000 miles on the bike and haven't had any trouble.  I did a big trip to yellowstone/montana/idaho and the tetons this summer. I carry a little tire pump with me and I just air the gripster down a bit and have had no problems even on water crossings.  Did dump the bike in a big mud hole but that would have happened regardless of the tire.  Good luck on picking one there's tons to choose from.