News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Suspension Swap?

Started by The Yeti, September 04, 2008, 11:05:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Yeti

Jason,

I know you're looking to lower your "S", is it possible we could swap suspensions?  Will the A & S suspensions work on the opposite bikes??
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

I think it can be done and I am interested.  How many miles on yours?   

loingrader

i thought you guys were riding the same bike.  don't i feel foolish.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on September 04, 2008, 11:19:02 AM
I think it can be done and I am interested.  How many miles on yours?   

I think around 15K.

Hank

Quote from: loingrader on September 04, 2008, 11:31:18 AM
i thought you guys were riding the same bike.  don't i feel foolish.

Mine is the "S" model - about 1.5" taller depending on the year (suspension specs changed almost yearly).   I had no intention of getting an S, but that's what I found a screamin' deal on so thats what I got.   Only the S comes in my blue and orange scheme, but that is great because the blue and orange ones are faster and run smoother, with higher fuel economy  ;D

I'll probably have 7K or so on by winter.  I wish the mileage was more similar, but I might be dreaming there anyway, so I think we should talk seriously about it.   Maybe when we swap I could send them in and get them revalved to match my fatness and granny style of off road riding.  I assume they'd be like brand spankin' new after that.   I'll check into what it would cost to just get my strokes changed too first.

The Yeti

Quoteabout 1.5" taller

Perfect!  ;D

QuoteI'll probably have 7K or so on by winter.  I wish the mileage was more similar

Yeah, I got more than double that.  :o  The suspension seems to work just fine, though.

Is this something we could do during/before/after the upcoming ride on the 20th? Man, after I get my Renazco, I'd be riding high!  ;D

fringefan

The Yeti

Looks like this could be done fairly quickly....I'm excited! Let's do this thing, Jason. If you need a little incentive, I'll throw in a case of your favorite brew (or some cash)!  ;D Seriously, I'm willing to pay whatever you think would be fair for the difference in mileage, considering you'll probably doing most of the wrenching, too.  8)  I've also got a low-gel seat, if you need to get even lower, probably not since you got the Renazco, but thought I'd offer.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=368853&highlight=suspension+swap

Sounds like we'd have to swap side & center stands, too.

Hank

I think we should do it, but I don't want to try and do it during the Sept 20 rally.  If anything goes wrong or doesn't go like we think it should, we could really hose up the little bit of riding time we have.     Sounds like a good winter project to me.   I don't know how much it would cost to UPS forks / shock across SD?

Hank

You might have to go the high fender route at that time too, because once I'm done installing mine I'll have dual brake lines, and the brake lines should probably be swapped too.   I think my lines would be really long with shorter forks.   

The Yeti

Quote from: Hank on September 07, 2008, 09:20:11 AM
I think we should do it, but I don't want to try and do it during the Sept 20 rally.  If anything goes wrong or doesn't go like we think it should, we could really hose up the little bit of riding time we have.     Sounds like a good winter project to me.   I don't know how much it would cost to UPS forks / shock across SD?

You're probably right...maybe we could swap bikes for a bit during the next ride, give us both an idea of what to expect.