News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Cafe'..... just the beginning

Started by JoniJo, March 27, 2012, 08:43:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoniJo

I finally found the bike I'm going to transform.
1980 Yamaha XS650 Special.
Found it on Craigslist about a week ago. Drove up to Mitchell S.D. the same day I bought it and picked it up. I think I got a very good deal.
I figure the project will take about 6-8 months as finances will determine.
I'll keep you posted as progress on the bike continues.
Got to love it!!!!!!!!!   ;D  ;D  ;D                     JoniJo

JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

greatbuffalo

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for it?

And why didn't you let me know you were in town?
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Jealous!  Greatbuffalo, isnt that the same model as yours? 
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

plumber mike

greatbuffalo

Jacin, mine was a 82 XJ 650. Some prefer the 2 cylinder to the 4 for cafe'ing

JoniJo

Sorry GB. It was a really quick trip up and back. I was only in town about 1/2 hour.

As far as price......drum roll please. Eight fifty. I'm happy with that!

Yeah....I wanted a twin to be more 'ol school Cafe'.

See y'all in June.    8)    JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

plumber mike

I think that's a good buy on a clean classic. Those little bikes seem to have a cult following and are stone cold reliable from what I've read.

I'm google eyed from looking at all the pictures of cafe bikes and realize that my taste lean more toward a true bobber. There were several that blurred the line of definition. I'm just going to build bikes that I like to my taste and let others call them what they like.

Have you got that bike stripped to bare frame yet? ;)
Good luck with the build. If I can help in any way just ask. Like I said, I've been researching, reading, looking at pics, parts etc.....So many cool ideas and so many great ways to go.I think it's so much fun and also therapeutic. I hope you have the same expierience.

Lonesome Dave

I use to have a "78" xs650 a few years back.  I miss it.  Here's a link you will want, if you don't already have it.

http://www.mikesxs.net
Older - Wiser - Faster !

greatbuffalo

Joni, check out this site as well.

These guys have some very cool parts.

http://www.jokermachine.com/

Zippopotamus

GB and I have an old Yamaha 125 Enduro that doesn't run. We have plans to make it into a cafe style ride. Our friend Paul is gonna be a part of it too. Hopefully we'll get him to join the fun of the DDSR group soon  ;D
I couldn't think of a signature; is this good enough?