News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Hills fall ralley Sept 19,20,21 signup

Started by fringefan, September 06, 2008, 06:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dratharr

Quote from: The Yeti on September 16, 2008, 09:31:38 PM
Got a new front tire coming tomorrow, trying a 908RR this time, had a D606 last time and I'm not happy with the wear pattern or tread life. Rears still got a little life left in it.

Jason - What are you doin Saturday night that's so important your gonna miss out on all the male bonding??  ;D
Good deal you were past due that is for sure, did the shop have any idea why that 606 was wearing so strange? I have never seen a front tire chunk apart like that. Do you have any idea what general area you might be riding Saturday morning? If I can't get out of work early on friday I might have to drive up Saturday morning.

The Yeti

Quote from: Dratharr on September 17, 2008, 08:52:39 AM
Good deal you were past due that is for sure, did the shop have any idea why that 606 was wearing so strange? I have never seen a front tire chunk apart like that. Do you have any idea what general area you might be riding Saturday morning? If I can't get out of work early on friday I might have to drive up Saturday morning.

Haven't been to the shop yet, going tomorrow and I'll see what they have to say about that front tire. Only had about 1500 miles on it, so seems strange it would wear so fast and uneven. I never seem to get as much life outa my tires as most, though. Probably my riding style combined with the demands of hauling my big ass around.  ;D

I'd assume we'll be riding somewhere around the Deadwood area, but I don't know exactly where.  ???
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

what tire pressures you runnin yeti? 

i'm great at checkin pressures on my blackbird, but not so good on the klr.  i was noticing that my front tire was cupping a bit.  checked my pressure and it was 11psi (whoops).  i like to keep the klr treads at about 25.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

I'm pretty anal about checkin tire pressures, pretty much every time I fill up. Keepin the 950 at 34f/37r. I think I just ride like a maniac on the tarmac (high speed braking wearing out front tires) and spin up the rear too much off-road.  ;D

Dustin

I was looking at Wild Bills web site and it looks like we can get a group rate, 63 dollars for 10 people that's only 6.30 a piece!  ;D I'm not sure were their group spots are but I was thinking some were in the 70-80 spot range. Here's a link to the map http://www.wildbillscamp.com/CampMap.htm Otherwise the lady said there's a two person max per site and one site was 16.25.  :o

I'll have a fire goin and some cold ones if anyone wants to stop out Thur. ;D

The Yeti

I think the group sites are like #1-#9, the ones with the picnic tables and shelters. Did she say if we were limited as to the number of tents on each site?  (Edit: Just spoke with Alissia at Wild Bill's, there's no limit to the number of tents we can have.)

So, you're gonna have to spend $16.25 for the night on Thursday??  :P  That sucks.

If we count all 12 people, looks like about $6 a night, per person...not too bad. I think we should get the electric hookup, too. I could use it to re-charge camera batteries & cell phone.

Once again, whoever is up there first on Friday morning is gonna have to pay up front for the site. I'd say just tell them there's gonna be 10 of us, and if we have more and they bitch we'll worry about that when we get to it. Sign up for the electric, too. I'm bringing a power strip.

Food: should I worry about bringing steaks? I can get some sweet t-bones at FTC this week for about $4 each if anyone wants to chip in. Still unsure of how to cook 'em, don't wanna grill 'em on the fire grate.... ??? Or, could just go into Deadwood for all the Prime Rib & crab you can eat.  :eat

Dustin

Quote from: The Yeti on September 17, 2008, 03:00:12 PM
I think the group sites are like #1-#9, the ones with the picnic tables and shelters. Did she say if we were limited as to the number of tents on each site?  (Edit: Just spoke with Alissia at Wild Bill's, there's no limit to the number of tents we can have.)

So, you're gonna have to spend $16.25 for the night on Thursday??  :P  That sucks.

Yea I'll have to pay the 16.25 for the first night but hopefully they let me stay at a group site so I don't have to move my tent!!  ;)

I'm game for prime rib and crab in Deadwood, defiantly make it easier on you Yeti!  ;D Thanks for the offer, a good T-bone is always nice too!!

loingrader

i was planning on hot dogs and lunchables.  anything above that is great.  i agree that there is no need to put you out yeti.  let's keep it simple.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

The Yeti

Ride suggestions?

I'd kinda like to do some exploring in the NW corner of the hills. I've never been out that way. Take off west from Savoy in Spearfish Canyon (I heard there's a "Little Grand Canyon" back there  ???), see if we can make it to Buckhorn for lunch, then SE to Deerfield, N to Rochford, N to Deadwood.

The Yeti

Quote from: loingrader on September 17, 2008, 03:22:49 PM
i was planning on hot dogs and lunchables.  anything above that is great.  i agree that there is no need to put you out yeti.  let's keep it simple.

Fine with me! Just wanted to maybe save you guys a few bucks on beef....I've saved up a enough $$ for this weekend, so I can eat out every meal if need be!   ;D  Wasn't sure how I was gonna haul 12 t-bones on my bike anyway!  ???

loingrader

re: ride suggestions.

i'm curious to see how the riding pans out for the group with our different bikes.  the ttr225 i'm bringin out for my brother to ride is definitely not a highway cruiser.  60mph is really pushing that little thing.  him and i will not be able to do a lot of highway riding for that reason, unless we know where everyone is headed and get a good head start on the group.  we will be sticking to mostly dirt roads.

that being said there may be some rides where the ttr, and our klr's will shine that the bigger bikes might not have as much fun, like some of the stuff we rode on at ddsr 1. 

something to think about. 

maybe some big group rides as well as splitting the group up for some rides too depending on what everyone wants to do.

personally, if brandon and i just flat can't keep up on the highway, i have no problem riding our own ride and letting everyone else do their thing.  i/we don't want to keep anyone from truly enjoying their weekend.  we're pretty self sufficient if need be. 

Hank

I really want to go out the back of whistler's gulch and do the cool hill climbs up to the top of strawberry.   I think about that hill often.

I would think (hope) our highway riding would be very limited.   I'll get plenty that on the way out and back!   10 or 20 miles to get somewhere good would be worth of course though.. and we can wait 5 minutes for the TTR no problem.

The Yeti

Whistler Gulch sounds like a good ride for Friday afternoon, close to camp.

Yeah, Brett, you guys can split off if ya want, but the slab will be minimal, I assure you.  You may want to get into some technical stuff more suited to the small bikes, and that's fine, too.

The Yeti

I swear, we got sooo lucky with the weather! When you plan a camp/ride for the 3rd week of September in the Black Hills, you really don't expect mild weather. You just couldn't ask for a better forecast for this weekend!!  ;D :cheers :chug ;D

http://www.weather.com/outlook/driving/interstate/tenday/USSD0084?from=36hr_fcst10DayLink_driving

Jared

Quote from: The Yeti on September 17, 2008, 04:23:50 PM
Ride suggestions?

I'd kinda like to do some exploring in the NW corner of the hills. I've never been out that way. Take off west from Savoy in Spearfish Canyon (I heard there's a "Little Grand Canyon" back there  ???), see if we can make it to Buckhorn for lunch, then SE to Deerfield, N to Rochford, N to Deadwood.

I've spent most of my time in the NW corner, mostly hiking or in trucks though.  Haven't seen the Little Grand Canyon yet but I'll ask my friend about it.

"Devil's Bathtub" is supposed to be neat and it's just outside of Spearfish Canyon.

If you're over that way check out Cement Ridge fire lookout across the Wyo border.  There's a gnarly road up the backside of it that would be sweet on a bike.  I did it in my Nissan and my friend got out and walked cuz he didn't want to be in it in case I rolled off the cliff edge.  But bikes would be fine. ;D ;D

Also "Boundary Rd" is fun -- it's a bigger road that's not too technical, but there's some whoops and ruts that keep it interesting.

Iron Creek Lake is pretty if you're in the area.