News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

May trip to the Black Hills?

Started by rokklym, April 26, 2012, 04:47:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rokklym

Its a long story, but at the beginning of April we left on a trip for Moab and made it about 25 miles and the motor on my buddies van blew up. Luckily we didn't make it too far and it was really only an inconvenience rather than a major situation. We were all bummed out that we couldn't go and unfortunately none of our schedules are going to work out for that trip again this year.

So, I see a post here about the Trans SD trail and think it sounds like a lot of fun. I have been out to the Black Hills a few times and know my way around pretty well, so I ran the idea past a few friends and they are up for a trip. Once again, schedules are a PITA, so the only time frame we have is May 11-18.

Is this going to be too early? I have been out there at the end of May twice with mixed results, froze my ass off on one trip. Just wondering about how the spring has been out there and whether this sounds like a good idea this early.

The Yeti

It's been a VERY mild spring (and winter) here in the hills. Judging by the last few months, I'd say it'll probaby be around 100 by then.  ;)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Sportfaller

I've been up in the high country a lot already, and areas that are usually under a few feet of snow are BONE dry, no mud or nothing, even the stock ponds are dry.  I think you'll hit it perfectly, weather wise. There may be showers, but the long term forecast is dry, dry, and more dry.

"Legally" the vast majority trails, especially in the high country, don't open till the 15th, but who cares about legally.

Where are you coming from and/or staying? I'm sure some of us local-yocals would be up for some riding!
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

rokklym

We would be riding out from Wisconsin. Me on a 950 Adventure, one guy on a BMW 1200 Adventure, and another guy on a DR650.

We would Probably slab it to South Dakota, then take some of the Trans SD tracks across the state for a couple days then ride around the Black Hills for maybe threes days then head home.

We won't be riding trails, just forest roads.

Lee Bruns

I'll be in Spearfish for the Special Olympics state meet for a week, but sadly won' t be able to bring the motorcycle along. Sad clown.

Sportfaller

They have designated a number of forest roads "trails", totaly big bike friendly.

Sent from my smarter-than-I-am phone using tapatalk 2
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"