News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Vintage Yamaha

Started by Osnabrock, April 30, 2012, 06:11:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Osnabrock

I stumbled onto my next project.
2 basket cases from Craigslist into one working bike.  Hopefully.

"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

JoniJo

Awesome.....What motor? Keep us posted!!!!!  8)    JoniJo
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Bogus Jim

You keep buying these two-strokes, your whole house is going to smell like pre-mix.  ;D 

Which is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. I have 3 new tires sitting in my kitchen right now. What can I say, I like the smell of new tires. It's normal to have motorcycle parts laying around the house, right?

Hank

Another two stroke headache..er... project!    LOL I'm sure it will be fun.

The first time my wife (then friend) came to my house I had a snowmobile engine dismantled on the kitchen table.    I don't see a problem with parts and tires in the house!

Osnabrock

The bike is a 1982 YZ 125.
I bought one basket case three years ago but it had too many damaged or missing parts to make it feasible.  I'm going to pick up the second today.  Between the two I should have what I need to make one pretty nice bike.
I'm not sure whether I'll start right in on it or if I'll hold off and make it a winter project.
I really just wanted to share my excitement because I've been searching for a donor for quite a while.

plumber mike

You've got issues....all of you. I keep the fresh rubber in the basement so the smell hits me when I walk down the stairs ;D

The dining room table is for small parts, like 2T engines.

Osnabrock

It's getting colder and I need the garage space so I broke down the bikes today.  I broke down one of the engines a number of years ago and the donor's motor was already in bits too so all I had to tear apart is the chassis.
To my surprise, I didn't encounter any stuck bolts to speak of which hopefully bodes well for the project.

greatbuffalo

Another very cool project!
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Hank

Osnabrock

Sorry Hank. 
I've been in Luxembourg for the last three weeks and, before that, I was holding onto my currency for the trip. 
I'm likely going to move forward here in the next little while.  Spring is coming soon and I'd like to have it together before our trails open. 
If it's a winter like last year, I'll need to run some motocross while waiting for the trails to dry out.  The YZ would be good to have for that purpose.

Lee Bruns

osnabrook, plese email me yoru address. I think I have some gaskets for your yamaha. They do me no good. Email at Bruns@wat.midco.net I'll drop them in the mail.

Osnabrock

That's very generous of you.  That will help my project move along nicely.

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?