Any one have M12X1.5 inserts laying around???

Started by Dustin, September 06, 2008, 09:31:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dustin

I was at Jason's today upgrading my dohickey.  ;D Everything started great I dropped the oil and change the filter. But when I went to put the oil plug back in it just kept spining!!!!  :o This was the first time I have changed the oil since I bought the bike. The previous owner over torqued the plug stripping it out!  :'( He then must have decided to remove the sealing washer to get more thread engagement and with a little RTV silicon he got it to seal!!  :-\ Probably not the best decision! So now I have to A) Drill and tap the hole for a over sized plug  B) Put a Timesert in the case and stay with the stock plug. The only problem is option B is close to 90 bucks since you have to buy the whole kit (M12X1.5). Plus I don't think I'll ever need to use the remaining 5 inserts.

fringefan

Check with Sturdevants. They have several sizes that might just be a tad bigger and I think they have some that will help tap a new hole. I had that same problem on a Scout and I tried to Dremel it a little bigger which caused a bunch of problems. Long story short they had one that fit.

Dustin

Chad thats a good idea!! ;D Would I be able to find sealing washers for that type?

I would rather keep with the stock plug if at all possible. I'm gonna see If one of the local shops around here have a helicoil set I can borrow?? I posted over on 650.net, Eaglemike said he would send me his kit but he is having a tech day next weekend. The earliest he'd be able to get it out would be the 15th, that might be cutting it a little too close.  :-\

Dustin

Hank

Mcmaster has m12x1.5 helicoils, 10 for ~$8.   All you need then is a special tap, right?

Dustin

Dustin

Well I got a helicoil kit today!!!  ;D Hopefully I can get my oil plug fixed soon, It's killing me not being able to ride it. :'(  Especially since it's suppose to be nice this weekend.