Moose Run - Dual Sport Rally - Aug. 3-5, 2012 - Walden, CO

Started by snooker, June 01, 2012, 03:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

If it happened this weekend I'd be on it but I have to work next weekend. :( :(
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Me and NDave and Fletch. This will be a great time. Maybe well post a pic or two for you guys.  ::)
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

snooker

Wow I guess I better check back here more often!   I'm actually kinda excited to see more of you coming my way!  Jacin, NDave, and Fletch!  Right on boyz!  (We hate you too Josh  ;D )

I will be taking the B loop and there are just a few of the easier singletracks on it, but it will be narrow for my 650.  The B single tracks are all just side loops off the main 2WD and 4WD dirt roads and can easily be skipped however.  I will take it much more carefully on the singletrack as last year a rock hidden in some grass took out my shift lever in the first 100 feet and I had to use a pair of vise grips the rest of the weekend. I was WAY too excited and didn't take my time, thinking I was on my XR400 or something.

As to the C loop, the Adv thread http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19238462#post19238462 sounds like it will be going west to Steamboat Springs then north, which is beautiful country.  The section below described as Buffalo Pass is also a section that could be skipped if you are worried about how it sounds, but you will have to plan ahead (ask the trip leader if concerned).  I quote the above link:

"We pre-rode the "C" routes on Friday. Both the Sat and Sun routes are well maintained county or FS gravel roads. I rode the Sat route and only found one short section that was a bit sketchy. It was signed as "End Of Winter Maintenance" and "May Be Impassable When Wet". That section north of Stmbt along with about 1-2 miles of rocky road on the west side of Buffalo Pass were the only places that required some special attention. It is an awesome route ."

This year they are going to try to have GPS tracks available, I don't know much more info than that but if you have a goofy cable for yours then bring it along.  No promises, but there will be maps for everyone of the routes and well marked.

I'll be tenting, look for my black 650 (plate says XC) or a small beige/gold Big Agnes tent.  The destination is about 2 miles north of the edge of Walden on the east side of the highway, at the county fairgrounds.  The fairgrounds has a building with water and toilets, food is only served both mornings and Sat dinner (included in entry fee).  There is gas and 2 good restaurants in town, showers in town at the rec center.  Plan on dinner Friday in town, let's try for 6pm and maybe we can all go together. Does that work or are you guys arriving later than that?

Again, for those of you on the fence about this, just check out some pics I took from last year's ride: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=16504860&postcount=183. Last year was record snowmelt, this year is the exact opposite so I expect things to be a lot drier.

jacin theis

There was nothing in the photos of the B loop that made me think it is not big bike doable. Of course, as in Moab, since i am riding there, i dont want to have any major breakage. Looks like it will be a great trip!
1100 GS

snooker

Quote from: jacin theis on July 30, 2012, 02:44:42 PM
There was nothing in the photos of the B loop that made me think it is not big bike doable. Of course, as in Moab, since i am riding there, i dont want to have any major breakage. Looks like it will be a great trip!
Attaboy!  :evil

Fletch

crap!! I forgot it was the first weekend of the rally, I have to sticka round town for work.....have fun..

on a positive note a friend from Mitchell is bringing some motocross guys out for thier first woods ride, that should be fun to watch!!  at least I will get a little riding in.
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

jacin theis

NDave called and will be here today. So, barring any unforseen isseus on his way down, we will be on the road in the AM.  Sorry you cant make it Fletch. I would use some crack about KTM riders, but i dont want to start a brand scuffle...   but the KLR now Vstrom rider will be here. 8)

1100 GS

Fletch

Quote from: jacin theis on August 02, 2012, 12:00:55 PM
NDave called and will be here today. So, barring any unforseen isseus on his way down, we will be on the road in the AM.  Sorry you cant make it Fletch. I would use some crack about KTM riders, but i dont want to start a brand scuffle...   but the KLR now Vstrom rider will be here. 8)

yea, yea... I know..... and the BMW is on the road while the KTM sits in the garage :(
I'm blaming it on the harleys ;)  have a good time! I'll be at the office in the morning feel free to honk as you go by to rub it in.......
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

jacin theis

A few photos. It was a windy ride there, but well worth it. Much like the DDSR rallys, it was a fun bunch, well behaved, with everyone there to ride. Dave made it to my house Thrusday night. Friday, we stopped in Hill City at the Slate Creek Grill for breakfast.

The camp site was out on the sage prairie. Walden is on a high plain, surrounded by mountains. It was windy when we set up, but that died down, and it was a beutiful place to see the stars. Last year they had 90 riders, this year was 120. They are limited to 250 by the forest service, so you need to get in on it next year.
1100 GS

jacin theis

Some of you might recognise that bike. Snook was the reason we were there. He invited us last year. I didnt make it then, but he ribbed me enough that i wasn't going to miss it this year.

The camping was simple, but tents and bikes always get me excited to ride.
1100 GS

jacin theis

The "C" loop was big bike freindly. 180 mile loop over Bufffalo pass on NF roads, a little pavement into Steamboat Springs. The views were great.
1100 GS

jacin theis

Here is a nice view of Steamboat coming down the west side of Buffalo pass. We made a stop at Clark for lunch. After this there are no gas of food stops. We had about 90 miles left at this point.
1100 GS

jacin theis

Dave and i didn't do the ride Sunday as we had our own 400 mile to get home. It was a perfect, still morning, which means ballooning. Nice. We went through Gould to the Moose Visitor Center. It is a nice info stop, but true to form, i didn't see any moose. I think they are related to Snipes.... anyway, had to get a shot of Dave going over a pass.
1100 GS

jacin theis

Last but not least, a shot of Dave as he holds his temper.... We had a nice route plotted out, but somewhere along the way my GPS (yes i trusted it) said if we turned right, it was a shorter route. The two track in the background was what we did for about 40 miles. Dave was gracious considering he missed breakfast and we were still in the woods at noon. It worked out in the end (for me) as i had a partner to ride some remote stuff i wouldnt have seen on my own. Loaded big bikes are not ideal for this type of road, but Ewan and Charlie did it.   ;D
1100 GS

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?