News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

WR250F

Started by greatbuffalo, June 06, 2012, 10:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

greatbuffalo

As many of you know I purchased Jacin's WR250F last week. I took it out to Farmingdale on my way back home on Sunday and rode around for a couple of hours and had a blast. I found it to be a bit low geared for me so today I changed out the 12 tooth front to the stoke 13. Made 1st and 2nd much more usable. Also noticed a little catch in the steering head so rather than tear it down and lube it, I decided to just order a new bearing kit and do it right the first time. So next week the fronrt end is coming apart and getting redone. Should be a much easier job than the last head bearing job I did on a XJ 1100 with full faring.

So far I love the bike and can't wait to get out on the trails.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

jacin theis

Sheesh, you make me feel like i sold you a dud.   Who needs first and second anyway?   I suppose you ordereed a steering dampner too.
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

Hank

greatbuffalo

Jacin, no dissing meant. I always know that I'm gonna put a few bucks into a new bike just because. No biggie man. I still think I got a great deal. I'm gonna love it. No steering dampener, never really liked those unless I had them adjusted wrong

greatbuffalo

Got the the head bearing replaced finally yesterday. I worked on them the other day but became quite frustrated with the top race. The is a lip under it that prevents you from getting a purchase in it a driver. Spoke to a few folks that said to weld some scrap steel to it and get it out that way...No dice.

In a moment of brilliance, I took my trusty roto-tool and ground down 2 spots on either side just under the race. Was then able to get a purchase on it with a drive and out she came in less then 2 minute. What a D/A for not thinking that way sooner.

No more binding in the head and we're good to go......so I thought. My son and I took a shakedown run and we switched bikes after 4 miles or so. He started off off the WR and I looked down to see the front caliper hanging by the lose top bolt and no bottom bolt. We had forgotten the golden rule to motorcycle maintenance. Double check ALL your bolts before test riding.

Will be on the hunt for a new lower caliper bolt in the morning. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ 

Dr Psyko

I once redid the brakes on my Road King, and re-torqued the main bolts to 70 inch pounds instead of 70 foot pounds because I didn't know there was a difference, and my torque wrench was calibrated in inch pounds. Out in the middle of Wisconsin I heard a wierd clicking, and looked down to see the brake caliper hanging. I rolled to a stop, and the other was loose also. Babied it into a small town repair shop. He borrowed me the right torque wrench, found an old chiltons book for a sportster, and I retorqued the bolts. He wouldn't take a penny (i hid a twenty in the chiltons).
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

greatbuffalo

Nice. Its just weird the things we space on.