News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trail Leaders Needed

Started by loingrader, June 09, 2012, 10:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

loingrader

Alright guys and gals.  Since we are going to be blessed with the presence of so many fine dual sporting individuals, we are going to need some trail leaders to keep it fun for everyone.  And the more planning done before hand means more riding and less standing around every morning trying to figure stuff out.

I'm thinking we had 5 guys leading that would be about the bare minimum to keep the riding groups to a reasonable size.

So who's up for it?

Some route suggestions:
-mostly single track, rock gardens and very little pavement
-scenic easy 2 up stuff
-shorter loops for the people who don't want 10 hrs of riding
-longer loops for those that do.
-any combination of the above.

Some potential nominations.
-Bogus
-Lonesome
-Yeti
-Fringe (be ready for anything following this guy)
-Jacin
-Sporty

Any takers or other suggestions?
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Lonesome Dave

Bogus, Sporty, and I and talked a couple of times about different trails or tours.  I wondered if people would like to travel to numerous peaks.  The tour would have to contain mostly quick stops.  However, I know some you can't get all the way there without walking a little.  Generally speaking, I think people want to ride not hike.  I thought maybe start at Terry Peak, 5 state view close to Fish & Fry and then to Custer Peak.  From there Flag Mountain, Green Mountain, maybe "Lost Dave's Peak" (yours truly unofficial name), Hat Mountain, Castle Peak, Bear Mountain, and others up there.  Bogus knows others up there as well.

Or, maybe just do old Fire Lookouts.  Or, there is still 5 remaining working Towers.  Bogus has my Black Hills Fire Lookout book right now and I know he has ideas.  Or maybe combine peaks and lookouts and go to whatever works.  I for one always like to going to any overlook, but that's just me.  I live here, I can do that anytime.  I'm in for what everybody wants to do.  There seems to interest in the caves and Sister Mary shrine.  That's an easy trip from Fish & Fry staying on gravel and trail. 

I always like the stuff that Sporty and Bogus come up with.  That south loop is great, but long.  Not sure there's time with all the masses.  I know there's talk of doing that on Thursday when less people are around.  I planned on being there all day Thursday, but now that's up in the air.

Okay, I rambled on long enough, Fletch wouldn't mow my yard yesterday so I got to get to work!  LD
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Fletch

too bad you had to work, we had a great (although pretty tough) ride, way better than mowing!!
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

torgo

Has anyone picked up the colored maps from the forest service?  I got one last week when I was riding the hills.  Pretty nice.  The only single track I can lay claim to is 6710 just north of Sheridan Lake.  It has a really nice and long up hill and hundreds of log crossings.

I got the MVUM on my Garmin and that is really nice.  I am up for the all day single track as my riding partner last week was riding an XL650R and was not up to much of the rough stuff.
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Osnabrock

While I in no way claim intimate knowledge of the area, I did make some notes from last years singletrack. I also marked some areas that I wasn't able to hit. 
I'm not comfortable taking the position of a leader but can offer some suggestions and am eager to have locals offer up their wisdom.
I need to figure out how many miles I can handle on my dirt bike, maybe figure out a fuel drop if the trails are more than 60 or so miles, but my fuel economy might improve at altitude.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Fletch

depending on the direction you go both Nemo and Sugar Shack have gas, and some nice single track ;)
stupid is my middle name, but my first name is Mike

Sportfaller

I'm willing to lead long loops of moderate trails with good scenery. Jacin and I did over 250 miles today, mostly primary and secondary FS roads and some county gravels in WY.  If folks want to do that kinda riding I'll piece together some routes in the next two weeks.  I dont know the northern hills super well, but have a solid grasp of central and south.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Bogus Jim

QuoteJacin and I did over 250 miles today.

You guys are wimps, I did 280 today and I don't even have a windshield. Or a big comfy bike. Or purple shock springs.  ;D

This is a 150 mile loop starting in Custer. I was going to suggest this as a Thursday ride, since NDave and maybe gerry1eye are camped in Custer Wednesday night. Anyone else welcome to join too. The loop took me 7 hours, my forearms ache and I have minor blisters on my hands so it must've been a good ride.

But, getting back to the original topic, I think it would be a good idea to get some routes planned for Friday/Saturday and decide who will lead them.

Sportfaller

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

greatbuffalo

I recognize that as Warren peak. I did some archaeology up in that area last spring right after the rally. We found one of the largest lythic scatters (stone tool making site) ever found not too far from there.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

hayduke.klr07

Howdy--

I know that i have been absent for some time, but i think that i am going to be able to make the event this year! 
I was just recently down in the southern hills (Jasper fire area) and took a road to the north that i all could think about is how good it would be to ride.  That being said I got home and taped the two travel maps together and put together a route that would take a person from the Fish and Fry all the way south to damn near newcastle, then back north through Redbird Canyon, then northeast through the Jasper area.
I would guess it at 120-150 miles with about 10% asphalt.  Some gravel and lot of dirt two track.  there will be a few short sketchy sections for bigger bikes but not bad.  a couple of the sections i have not ridden but it is about adventure right?  None of the route involves being on any "trails" where you would need the travel management sticker.

That being said I would be up leading a ride one day.

The Yeti

Unfortunately, I will only be riding on Saturday, and will be 2-up. But, I'm willing to lead around a group on the 'very-easy' type of fireroads. I plan on plotting out some routes in the next two weeks.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

The Yeti

Quote from: hayduke.klr07 on June 10, 2012, 10:50:58 AM
Howdy--

I know that i have been absent for some time, but i think that i am going to be able to make the event this year! 
I was just recently down in the southern hills (Jasper fire area) and took a road to the north that i all could think about is how good it would be to ride.  That being said I got home and taped the two travel maps together and put together a route that would take a person from the Fish and Fry all the way south to damn near newcastle, then back north through Redbird Canyon, then northeast through the Jasper area.
I would guess it at 120-150 miles with about 10% asphalt.  Some gravel and lot of dirt two track.  there will be a few short sketchy sections for bigger bikes but not bad.  a couple of the sections i have not ridden but it is about adventure right?  None of the route involves being on any "trails" where you would need the travel management sticker.

That being said I would be up leading a ride one day.

Great to see you back Chris!

This guy really knows his way around the trails. If you plan to follow Chris, you'll get exactly what he says you will.   :evil
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

loingrader

Quote from: Osnabrock on June 09, 2012, 10:20:40 PM
I did make some notes from last years singletrack.

taking the position of a leader

You can do it! 

I'm bringing out a guy who is riding a KTM250sx geared for the woods.  He's going to be wanting to hit the singletrack for sure.  thirsty 2 stroke so fuel will be a consideration.
You live more in five minutes on a bike like this going flat out than some people live in a lifetime - Burt Munro

Osnabrock

As far as gas availability goes...........
I'm in the habit of running nonoxygenated fuel in my bike.  I'd like to keep to that but would settle for any 91 octane or better fuel.  Where's the nearest reliable source of either of these?  Does the place across from Fish and Fry carry it?
I just picked up another 5 gallon fuel can so I'll arrive with my bike filled, and 10 gallons of mix with me.  It may last me the whole trip but I'd like to be prepared.
I also ordered new jets and needle to rejet my carb for altitude so I should get a bit better mileage out of a tank.  I'm hoping for 70-80 miles with my oversized tank installed.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."