News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trail Leaders Needed

Started by loingrader, June 09, 2012, 10:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportfaller

Quote from: Osnabrock on June 11, 2012, 06:33:24 PM
As far as gas availability goes...........
I'm in the habit of running nonoxygenated fuel in my bike.  I'd like to keep to that but would settle for any 91 octane or better fuel.  Where's the nearest reliable source of either of these?

There should be 91 across the street, and Boondocks down by the Brownsville road (about 4 miles) usually has 98 and 101.
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Lonesome Dave

In light of the recent discussion on this thread, I decided to start reconning this past weekend.  So here's a short report.

Saturday afternoon I headed out for Custer Peak.  I've been wanting to go to all different Fire Lookouts, but haven't got around to it yet.  With the rally coming up, I figured I'd better get after it.  First, because I wanted to see them and second to see how tough it is to get there and if it's worthwhile once your there. 

Although I've been on all sides of Custer Peak, I've never actually been to the top.  It appears there's a couple of ways to get there.  I first came in from the south and probably would be to rough for the big machines at least riding 2 up.  I left the easy way on 213 to Hwy 385.  That direction would be good for 2 up riding.  This peak has a great 360 degree view and you can really see how the pine beetle has devastated the area.  There's a short hike to the top but
well worth it.  In fact, I think this is my new favorite, even more than Bear Mountain. 

Custer Peak

Looking to Southwest

Looking towards Castle Peak

Short hike to the peak

Leaving down below

Sunday afternoon I headed out for Seth Bullock and Castle Peak.  I was in town for lunch, so I left via Sheridan Lake road, Victoria Lake area, crossed over Hwy 385, into the Edelweiss mountain area in search of Seth Bullock.  I eventually got there, but found a metal gate blocking my way.  I really wanted to see this place, soooooo, I checked to see if it was locked.  Nope.  I opened it up, went through and shut again.  I started heading up but could see fresh tracks on the trail.  I kept going.  Near the top, I found two US Forest service trucks coming down the hill.  Now from my past experience, its best to fess up and face the music.  So I pull and stop next to the drivers window, shut it off.  "Hi, I know I'm not suppose to be up here, but I got this rally coming up in a couple of weeks and........"  You get the idea.  Well he told me to go on up and he would wait for me at the gate below.  Got there, really neat, would love to look around more, but with the fence locked up, you can't climb the tower.  Without the tower, there's no view.  I asked about getting a temporary key from the forest service for
the rally and he advised maybe?  I think it's sometimes possible, but we had to talk to the big guy.  Hayduke might be able to help here, but it still might be more trouble than it's worth.  At least I got to go and look!

Seth Bullock

Castle Peak.  I've been here before, but didn't remember much about it or more importantly, how to get there.  Bogus Jim and I talked about it a while back and he recently found it.  He didn't think it was too bad for big bikes until the top portion.  And I agree.  However, I was on Pilots Knob and saw the now famous 2 up ride of gerry1eye and his son David on the KLR.  They rode up that rocky trail like there's nothing to it.  I remember it well, because I was
riding directly in front of them on the old Tdub and worried they were going to catch me!  I'm just saying, 2 up probably not worth the risk.  Riding single, go for it.  There's plenty of people to pick it up!  This is worth the ride.  Its a fun trail and plenty of views.

Castle Peak Parking Area

Old foundation pillars

Looking North towards Custer Peak

Terry Peak on left, Custer Peak on right

The last part of the climb looking back down the hill

Older - Wiser - Faster !

Sportfaller

http://www.firelookout.com/sd.html Is a good starting point for creating a ride to hit as many lookouts as you could in one day.  Its a pretty comprehensive list.

In my opinion, the ones worth visiting are the locations with some remaining structure and good views:

Custer Peak
Terry Peak
Cement Ridge
Flag Mountain
Bear Mountain
Summit ridge

and if you really felt like a long day add Coolidge and Elk Mountain

To me, it looks like you could string a ride together counterclockwise and make a good day of it.

Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome DaveIn fact, I think this is my new favorite, even more than Bear Mountain.

Awwww. I dedicate this lovely song to Bear Mountain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upzrUBltoDQ

Nice recon and photos, LD.

Osnabrock

Don't know about the lookout, but that sure is a beautiful song Jim.  Thanks.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Bogus Jim

Quote from: OsnabrockDon't know about the lookout, but that sure is a beautiful song Jim.  Thanks.

Alison Krauss has won more Grammys than any living artist. I lived in North Carolina for a while and discovered bluegrass music out there. When I moved to the Black Hills I was surprised to learn there's an annual bluegrass festival in the Hills. I didn't figure Dakotans would be into bluegrass... but I guess we do live in the "mountains".

By coincidence, the festival is the same weekend as the rally, and it's a short ride/drive from the Fish N' Fry. If anybody wants to check it out, maybe take in an evening show, here's the schedule.

http://www.blackhillsbluegrass.com/Schedule.html

greatbuffalo

I do love me some Bluegrass me own self. I hate country, but love Bluegrass. I once stated to my wife that Bluegrass harmony may not always be pleasent, but if usually cool.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Lonesome Dave

Hey Jim, we can get to the bluegrass festival via Galena to Vanocker and head down Bulldog trail, I'm sure everyone would like that at the end of the day!   :evil
Older - Wiser - Faster !

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Lonesome Dave
Hey Jim, we can get to the bluegrass festival via Galena to Vanocker and head down Bulldog trail, I'm sure everyone would like that at the end of the day!   :evil

It is scary how much we think alike.  ;) 

Bulldog is about a 5 mile trail and it's actually pretty smooth, except for the last 4.95 miles.

greatbuffalo

Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

The Yeti

That was Bulldog CANYON, right? The one we climbed for what seemed like about an hour?? I really wouldn't like coming *down* that one.   :o
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Bogus Jim

Quote from: The Yeti
That was Bulldog CANYON, right? The one we climbed for what seemed like about an hour?

Yes, Bulldog Canyon. I remember us coming down Vanocker Canyon on that ride, doing 70-75mph; I was trying to lose you Yeti, but I couldn't!  ;D

For those who like a few rocks, the Moses Hill trail + Camp 5 + Bulldog Canyon would be a nice 2-hour loop out of Fish n' Fry. A warmup for the afternoon ride.  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PVBCL4oE3g

Osnabrock

QuoteFor those who like a few rocks, the Moses Hill trail + Camp 5 + Bulldog Canyon would be a nice 2-hour loop out of Fish n' Fry. A warmup for the afternoon ride.  :)
Maybe a Thursday afternoon ride?  I hope to be there in the early afternoon.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Dr Psyko

How does the infamous Camp 5 compare to Bulldog? Inquiring minds want to know.
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.

snooker

If you're collecting feedback... I think Sport and Jacin (and the mysterious Plumber Mike...) all know what I like to ride.  As much off road as possible, everything we did in our group last year was great.

Singletrack is great but can mean many things, it conjures up dirt bikes that are plated and barely legal, (and I'm not bringing my XR400).  The singletrack (or was it ATV can't remember) that we did last year that was all due south of Deerfield Lake... that was my favorite section of the entire weekend.  I would think it was ATV but anyhow it was very wide.. and not steep and rocky - can't do that on this bike (I mean Pilot Knob is about my limit). But somebody mentioned singletrack with lots of fallen logs --  hehe no thanks on my G650X with marginal ground clearance.   Also any river crossings more than a foot deep well this bike has a spark plug somewhere but few people have found it and fewer have a tool that will fit it. Crazy damn BMW. So I stay away from any potential drownings, and I'm more used to dry terrain.

Oh yeah and I'm not running my full knobbies this year, but Mefo Explorer 50/50-ish... so mud in general is not my thing.  I expect you had low snowfall this year like Colorado did anyhow...

LoinGrader thanks for this thread, I think it is a great idea!  I'll follow you guys wherever you go but it is always more fun to stay on the pegs and match the bikes ability!   SportF and LDave your lookout tower loop looks pretty intriguing I must say, don't know what the roads are like but I liked everything SportF took us on last time, even pushing GB's Tiger with street slicks up to Bear Mtn tower on Sunday!  yeah!

LDave, if by "short hike" you mean 10 minutes then hell yeah! I think we're all here to Ride!  Hiking in moto boots is well... you know. 

Ok that's my opinions!  Thanks for all the trip leaders!  p.s. my range is at least 120 miles...

Getting excited here...