News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Trail Leaders Needed

Started by loingrader, June 09, 2012, 10:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bogus Jim

Quote from: Dr PsykoHow does the infamous Camp 5 compare to Bulldog? Inquiring minds want to know.

On average, difficulty is about the same, but I'd say that Camp 5 has a couple short sections that are tougher than anything on Bulldog. Camp 5 is shorter and flat, Bulldog is probably 6-7 miles total according to MVUM and about a 1500-1600' climb. Camp 5 sometimes has deep water crossings but I think they'll be lower this year.

Quote from: OsnabrockMaybe a Thursday afternoon ride?  I hope to be there in the early afternoon.

If I am not riding Thursday, or if I'm riding elsewhere, I'll post a map and tracks so you can give it a whirl.

greatbuffalo

No Tiger this spring. I'm coming armed with a KLR650 that my kid has been riding and the newly acquired WR250F. I waas going to bring the Tiger so my wife and I could do a little two-up but I don't think she's interested, would rather find some like minded women and do a wine tasting tour or something. I think my kid and I switch up from time to time if the KLR gets a little too much for him. He's a very new rider but doing very well. This will be his first time in the trails. Really looking forward to see how he does.
Did I ever tell you: " I HATE MUD!" ?

Osnabrock

Quote from: BogusJim on June 15, 2012, 03:16:17 PM
Quote from: Dr PsykoHow does the infamous Camp 5 compare to Bulldog? Inquiring minds want to know.

On average, difficulty is about the same, but I'd say that Camp 5 has a couple short sections that are tougher than anything on Bulldog. Camp 5 is shorter and flat, Bulldog is probably 6-7 miles total according to MVUM and about a 1500-1600' climb. Camp 5 sometimes has deep water crossings but I think they'll be lower this year.

Quote from: OsnabrockMaybe a Thursday afternoon ride?  I hope to be there in the early afternoon.

If I am not riding Thursday, or if I'm riding elsewhere, I'll post a map and tracks so you can give it a whirl.

That would be greatly appreciated Jim. 
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

Bogus Jim

Here's the map and tracks for anyone who wants to try Moses Hill (trail 8035/6), Camp 5, and Bulldog Canyon. These are 3 fun intermediate trails not too far from the Fish n' Fry. I changed the route a bit because I figured Osnabrock and Griz don't want to pound the pavement on their dirt bikes.

The "dirt" route has only 1.3 miles of pavement and starts at Fish n' Fry and ends at the bottom of Bulldog Canyon. It's about 38 miles. If you turn around, come back up Bulldog, and head home on Galena road, the total out and back should be right around 60 miles. I put an alternate track in the track log if you want to start at the bottom of Bulldog Canyon, but you'll have to ride 7 miles of pavement plus 3 miles of interstate.

The "dual sport" route, for those who don't mind some pavement, goes through Sturgis and then south on a gravel Scenic Byway that will take you past Fort Meade National Cemetery. This route is also about 60 miles. There's an alternate track in the track log if you want to skip Camp 5 (the toughest part of the route).

A note on Moses Hill: I prefer to ride the loop counter-clock wise, because then you're going uphill through the tougher section. According to my GPS (which probably isn't very accurate), the steepest grade is 26% and the average is around 23%. For comparison, Hat Mountain is 22% and the powerline trail south of Deadwood is 17%. I don't think plated dirt bikes will have any trouble but it should be a fun challenge for dual sport bikes.

Map of dirt route:

Fort Meade National Cemetery on dual sport route:

Osnabrock

Thanks Jim.
I think that will be my Thursday afternoon ride.
I don't quite know when I'll be arriving at camp, though I'm hoping it will be no later than 2 PM.
If anyone else is interested in riding the "dirt" route, let me know via PM before Tuesday night as I'm leaving Wednesday morning and won't have easy access after that. 
My bike is set up to ride as much pavement as necessary but my goal is to keep it to a minimum, being a two-stroke without a cush hub so that's the route I'm going the whole weekend.
I'll be picking your mind, Jim, for a good way to get down towards Johnson Siding and Jenny Gulch with the same considerations in mind.  If you have any suggested routes down there, let me know.
It was very nice, and useful, to be able to print out a hard copy of the route.  I'm not a GPS guy but instead have a love of maps in general.
Many thanks.  I'm so eager to get to the hills.
"Don't be scared, it's fun.  I'll cheer you on."

torgo

Help!!!

What do you think?  Should I change out my 1/2 tread Kenda 270 with 2500 miles on it for a NEW Michelin Starcross I have ( Not DOT don't tell) or just run the Kenda on the KLX?

I am bringing the KLX300R for my small bike and the KLR for the big one.

Oh yeah the KLX has Joni's skid plate she gave me on it so I got that 6 pack of Pepsi I owe her.

Thanks
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

Sportfaller

Just bring the tire, we can always put it on if you need it, or maybe someone will need a spare. I sold a tube last year :o
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

JoniJo

Thanks for remembering Torgo. looking forward to seeing you in the Hills!        8)        Joni
JoniJo

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." -

Thomas Jefferson

Wacked

John -

Todd and I should be there early afternoon on Thursday also - plan on leaving Billings about 7:30ish.  We'd sure join you and Griz on that loop Bogus mapped out.

Wacked

snooker

Thanks for the GPS tracks Jim, I put them on my Garmin.  Won't be there until after dark on Thurs but maybe I'll find a way to use them :)

revmaaatin

Quote from: The Yeti on June 14, 2012, 10:44:54 AM
That was Bulldog CANYON, right? The one we climbed for what seemed like about an hour?? I really wouldn't like coming *down* that one.   :o

I think it is better/easier to ride Bulldog Canyon N to S rather than S to N.
~8 miles.  takes about 8 minutes. cough.
Enter on the East side of th National Cemetary.
Exit at Veterans peak;  Mile Marker 11 on Vanoker Canyon.

revmaaatin.

torgo

So when will anyone be ready to ride tomorrow?  Is there an official start time and place?  Wife is joining me tomorrow so some two up track is on mybike list.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Time heals all wounds. But it usually leaves a pretty big scar.

The Yeti

Quote from: torgo on June 20, 2012, 07:58:35 PM
So when will anyone be ready to ride tomorrow?  Is there an official start time and place?  Wife is joining me tomorrow so some two up track is on mybike list.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

I won't be up until late Friday, but plan on doing some 2-up all day Saturday.
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

Hank

Cara and I will be there tomorrow, but it might be too late to ride.  Not sure yet.