News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

1991 KLR 250 Rebuild

Started by Zippopotamus, June 22, 2012, 12:21:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zippopotamus

Grabbed this girl from LonesomeDave this spring and have been bringing her back to life.
I couldn't think of a signature; is this good enough?

Zippopotamus

Got her running first, then moved to the aesthetic side of the repairs: New tires and some florescent orange paint (that 80's color scheme HAD to go in my opinion). We also found the front sprocket to be missing a few teeth, so we changed that too.

Zippopotamus

I forgot to take some pictures, but I changed the wheel bearings last week along with a new speedometer cable. I also straightened the triple trees and took her for a ride for my first time. Even though she still has bad fork seals and a dysfunctional front brake, she was a blast to ride. It's wayyy lighter than the 650 I'm used to riding; so light, in fact, that I almost put it on it's side just by standing it up off the kickstand because I'm used to using more muscle on the 650. If I keep doing that, I'll need bash bars, but those were in the plan from the beginning anyway.

Next on the agenda is the fork seals, the front brake, and the electrical issues. After that, I'll look into hand guards and bash bars. Not much left to do, so I'll leave you with a somewhat current picture of it.

Dr Psyko

Looks good Zippo! Nice project!
11th Commandment: Thou shalt not slide through life.