News:

Come on, summer...

Main Menu

Moab anyone?

Started by jacin theis, September 19, 2010, 09:04:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

plumber mike

I've had a change of plans and will be driving the truck to Moab.....picking Snooker up along the way.

I was wondering how I'd get my cabana, generator, chili pepper lights, and portable kegerator on the bike with a 1/2 cord of wood, and still carry three quarts of oil on the bike (for Jerry and son, of course :-X)....the real reason will be revealed around the campfire ;D

I hope this dosen't screw anybody up...and could help should someone have a problem with a bike, get hurt, or other things which WILL NOT happen.

snooker

Quote from: Sportfaller on April 21, 2011, 08:01:29 AM
I think this is the campground you are thinking of, I stayed there about 10 years ago, awesome sandy riverside camp, good shade, nice place.

If we want to day ride in the old uranium mines in paradox, C.O. they are about an hour east, and I have a place we can camp there or something on either end.
There's at least 6 along this area (see BLM link above) any will do, only a few will fit an RV according to the site.  That Google view makes the sandstone the color of the muddy Colorado! We all know it is much more beautiful than that!

Gerry if you decide something before departure (or after you arrive even) it would be nice to know where to look for you - what day do you arrive in camp?  Call one of us and we can post it or ?

Mike you forgot to mention my electric Shiatsu massage chair...  it may mean taking that trailer after all. sorry!

jacin theis

Sounds like Sportfaller just commited to the Moab trip!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

David

Quote from: snooker on April 21, 2011, 07:07:32 PM
Gerry if you decide something before departure (or after you arrive even) it would be nice to know where to look for you - what day do you arrive in camp?  Call one of us and we can post it or ?

Gerry's son here, we are heading down the weekend before you guys leave and will probably get into Moab on May 7th or 8th. I should be able to update this post with where we are staying soon after we get there.

Also, I am in the process of making a list trails for the two of us to ride before you get there so if anyone has any recommendations or wants us to scout something out before the rest of the group arrives let me know.

snooker

Hi David,

Yeah I remember meeting you at Nemo. (Still waiting to hear if your Dad is the Brad Lackey fan...)  hehe..    Anyhow I do have some ideas for trails for you.  First I'd like to ask that you guys NOT ride the White Rim Trail and definitely leave that one for the entire group when we get there.  It will definitely work on a KLR650 or a GS bike easily.  Maybe also skip the 4x4 trails in that same general area like Gemini Bridges, and the road to Dead Horse State Park and we can all do them together.  On the other hand of course feel free to do as you choose!   

A new are to scout:  There are some new-ish single track, mountain bike and ATV trails called the Sovereign Trail System, located north of Moab on the east side of 191 just N. of the 313 junction, starting at the Archview RV resort and gas station (the only gas station in the entire area north, east or west of Moab itself).   You have to be careful which sections you try - for example the Sovereign Single Track (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZracnCycrs&feature=related) is WAY too hard for bigger dual sport bikes and is more for mtn bikes and hard core dirt bikes (never been on it personally).  I've been on some other sections and been told the Sovereign ATV loop (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR4M3X1Dc7M) is best for bigger dual sport/adventure bikes.  You should not do it without a map, I know there are maps at the Archview gas/store, I got one there.  It might be a cool area to check out as all the trails have recently been laid out (all on state land, not BLM) with specific types of usage in mind (like single track), unlike most roads and 4x4 trails that were originally just put there by uranium miners back in the day. 

Other things to do:  Also there is an awesome short hike down into a canyon right there - just ride south of the ArchView store (on trails in the Sovereign area) to the main drainage that goes east, then go east along the sand wash and only about 1000' east of the highway it drops into a pouroff.  You can hike down into the canyon via a trail just a few hundred feet around on the south side of the canyon, the trail goes straight down the wall into the canyon floor (in the shade!).  A very accessible easy quick hike and you are totally isolated at the end of a canyon that eventually drains into Arches Nat'l Park a couple miles away.  Also a good evening, even moonlight hike and nobody goes there...  Another good hike is a tighter slot canyon called Negro Bill Canyon on 128 on the way to your campground on the Colorado river.

You should ride the asphalt through Arches Nat'l Park if you have never done it.  The Fiery Furnace tour is amazing - must sign up ahead of time (maybe even day before - it fills up early), it is such a maze that you have to have a ranger guide you or most people get lost (it is also shady as you are sandwiched between fins of rocks).  Also the ever popular Delicate Arch hike for sunset (cooler) or full moon even.

Number Two

Quote from: jacin theis on April 21, 2011, 08:12:32 PM
Sounds like Sportfaller just commited to the Moab trip!

Likewise, by posting in this thread after buying a new bike, the Yeti is default committed.

Also, I second waiting on white rim for the rest of us.  I'd really like to do that one.

The Yeti

I wish I could, but it's a real busy time at work for me in May, so no go.  :(
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

flexlarson

Sent Plumber mike an email. I might try to make this work If I can get work off.
"Twenty years from now you'll be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. do it.
... it gets harder before it gets hard.... Get up here..

Sportfaller

Jacin, I got your message, I dont know if I can get the bike prepped in time, the 11th isnt very far away! I'm hunting down some of the remaining additions, but dont know if the funds will be available to fill out my needs list.

I need the following:
build tool tube
tire kit (tube tires now)
tubes
tires (bike came with street tires  ???)
tank bag
waterproof duffel
GPS (maybe)
lots of other stuff.....
Josh
"Now the chokers, and the chain saws, and the log trucks have been stilled, now spotted owls, and hippy galls, run freely through the woods!"

jacin theis

Wow Flex, i have wondered where you were. It would be great if you made it! 
Sportfaller, i have a waterproof duffel you can use if it helps. Oh, and some maps!  ::) I know your on a BMW, but really all you NEED is the bike and some time. LETS GO!
Whos in for a big trip? Alsaka? Moab (again)? Baja?
1100 GS

The Yeti

Hey Josh,

I might be willing to part with the GPS (and mount) you left on the GS.  I've got a 60CSX that I actually prefer....make me an offer I can't refuse.  ;)
"You want me to ride up THAT?!"

snooker

Quote from: flexlarson on April 28, 2011, 11:37:26 PM
Sent Plumber mike an email. I might try to make this work If I can get work off.

Hey FlexLarson!     Life is short!  Winters are long...  here's another teaser pic for your subconscious... 

Use your own good judgement... ;D       I take that back..   DO IT!   DO IT NOW !!!

snooker

Quote from: Sportfaller on April 29, 2011, 07:36:03 AM
Jacin, I got your message, I dont know if I can get the bike prepped in time, the 11th isnt very far away! I'm hunting down some of the remaining additions, but dont know if the funds will be available to fill out my needs list.

I need the following:
build tool tube
tire kit (tube tires now)
tubes
tires (bike came with street tires  ???)
tank bag
waterproof duffel
GPS (maybe)
lots of other stuff.....

Disclaimer: I'm talking the "local day ride" portion of the adventure, not touring and camping:

Jacin is right, you don't need much to get your bike ready.  Non-street tires are very helpful though, but full on knobbies are not mandatory, at least something with a decent tread similar to a Mefo or Heidenau will work great. Yeah ok spare tube(s), tools and a duffel (small, or a pack with water for day rides) but the rest you could rely on others for if you had to.  Though I just bought a GPS (60CSx) for an organized ride where they downloaded the waypoints to follow, I've never used one in Moab, what you really need (still) is a good map, which you can buy there at any mtn bike shop.  Starting down the GPS knowledge path is a giant time sync too, either looking for free topo maps online or learning the unit, I'm not sure how many of these side roads / 4x4 roads will show up on a GPS anyhow (YMMV).  So I'd say bag the GPS unless you are already up to speed on it - and save this energy for things that are a must!

Not to pretend to know more than others, but for tubes...  I subscribe to the theory of having the shop instal the fattest fricking tube I can find (Bridgestone Ultra Heavy Duty 4mm thick tube) then ride carefully enough and with enough pressure say 25+ (I don't deflate for off road, and Moab has plenty of hard edges it is not just sand anyhow) and HOPE I don't get a flat, cuz it's not a skill I've ever done successfully, even at home, maybe it's time to retry it.  These fat tubes are difficult to work with (I've been told), and though I have a lot of years off road but sadly not a lot of miles... but so far so good.

p.s. I just installed a tool tube from the AdvRider guy at TheToolTube.com who ships FAST.  They are cheap and will save you a lot of time making your own like I tried, but couldn't mount my homemade one reliably in my case.

All someone has to say to me is...  Life is Short...   and Moab...    and man you gotta go - there's no place like Moab and SE Utah!

snooker

Maps, trails, gas...

I found a cool website for Moab trails, of course it is mountain bike oriented and will not explain which trails may have that ONE impassible obstacle for a dual sport pig that you would just simply carry your mtn bike over or around.  But it will give you a sense of where the various trails are you will hear people talk about:

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/trails/idx-moab.htm

Maps - you need a decent one for mtn bike trails and even for 4x4 roads it is a good idea...  Unless things have changed recently, the best ones are either Latitude 40 (they make Moab East and Moab West) or the Trails Illustrated (now National Geographic own them? and they make Moab North and Moab South).

Gas - Outside of Moab itself, the only place I know of is about 12 miles north of Moab on US Hwy 191.  For the White Rim trail day, I plan on gassing up here and it is about 120-130 mile loop from there and back to the same gas station.  If you can go that far you should be ok, but I plan on taking a 1 gal can up to the top and leaving it where we take off on the side dirt road (actually where the Mineral Bottom road comes back up to the paved 313 road, topping it off and leaving the rest.   Our G650X bikes have small tanks.

Number Two

I think there are enough of us that we could walk/move/carry big bikes over a difficult obstacle if we really had to.  Many hands and all.  We do it with snowmachines all the time [500lbs].

White Rim on Saturday?

Don't skimp on water.  We drank 2 gallons per day each last time I was out - wasn't even all that hot.

...got my bar risers in the mail today - Moab is coming woohoo!